08/11/13 02:55 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Belgian parliament is debating a controversial new bill, which would extend the country’s law on euthanasia to terminally ill people aged under 18.
It would become the only country in the world to grant children the right to choose to die. Euthanasia for adults was legalised in Belgium in 2002.
Advocates argue that euthanasia for minors, with the consent of their parents, should be an option in exceptional cases.
Paediatrician Dr. Geirland van Beirlant said: “When the situation occurs we have to perform euthanasia in secret. We cannot write down what really happened. Things happen in secret, cannot be monitored, cannot be adjusted. As doctors, we want to give the best cure possible.”
A group of paediatricians published an open letter in Belgian newspapers this week asking politicians to support the bill, but many MPs remain bitterly opposed.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Explosions at Istanbul Ataturk airport ‘kill at least 10, wound 20 people’ – officials
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Wires > News
- 22:16 CET Norway investigators blame Airbus helicopter crash on gearbox…
- 21:46 CET Former Nigerian ministers charged with laundering 4.9 bln naira
- 21:26 CET Russia, United States blame each other for maritime incident
- 21:10 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:36 CET Iraq’s top court invalidates Abadi’s partial cabinet reshuffle
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…