Movie-goers are long used to being told when a film contains sex, nudity, swearing or excessive violence.
But that list could soon be extended if a new rating system in Sweden catches on.
Four of the country’s cinemas have begun assessing movies on gender equality.
They rate films using the Bechdel test , named after its founder, an American cartoonist. To pass, a film – or other work of fiction – must have at least two women talking to each other about something other than a man.
Ellen Tejle, the director of Bio Rio, an art-house cinema in Stockholm’s trendy Södermalm district, told the Guardian: “The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, all Star Wars movies, The Social Network, Pulp Fiction and all but one of the Harry Potter movies fail this test.”
But question marks have been raised over the test.
Swedish film critic Hynek Pallas said there were lots of films that didn’t pass the test but still helped to make society better or more equal.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 3War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 4Exhumations at suspected Serbia mass grave begin
- 5Transnistria territorially tempting to Russia
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 11:45 CET Libya faces enormous security challenge – U.S. diplomat
- 11:16 CET Obama reaffirms commitment to Japan on tour of Asia allies
- 10:56 CET U.N. Security Council members considering South Sudan sanctions
- 09:26 CET Three foreigners killed in attack in Afghan hospital – security…
- 09:25 CET Wage talks resume as South Africa platinum strike marks 13th week
- 08:36 CET Historic canonisation of two popes brings joy and controversy
- 07:48 CET Exclusive – Marubeni says Chinese authorities detain three staff…
- 07:03 CET Pakistan fighter jets target militant hideouts near Afghan border