07/11/13 01:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Workers at a Spanish television channel have vowed to fight on after Valencia’s regional government said the public broadcaster was financially doomed.
A court which ruled that a plan to reduce staffing levels from 1,700 to just 700 in order to stay afloat was illegal, has sounded the company’s death knell.
Leaders of the eastern region said the station RTVV was too deep in debt to be kept going without the cuts.
“The ruling leaves us no other option than to proceed with the closure because the funding this television station had three years ago is no longer affordable. The closure process will be carried out as fast as possible,” announced President of Comunidad Valenciana, Carlos Fabra.
But while moves are afoot to petition local support for the station some of the company’s management including RTVV’s Director General Rosa Vidal, have already quit.
“If they are going to use the law to force the closure of RTVV, which is the decision that has been taken, then they can’t count on us,” said Rosa Vidal.
Workers at the regional channel Telemadrid who are also facing cuts showed their support for their colleagues while union representatives said they would contest the decision.
But analysts warn the closure in Valencia may well be just the start with Spain’s 17 public regional television stations looking increasingly vulnerable in recession hit Spain.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Wires > News
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 17:47 CET Tajik Islamists’ lawyer goes on trial on fraud, extremism charges
- 17:41 CET As U.S. rotates generals in Europe, job is prevent new ‘Cold War’
- 17:33 CET Niger tells Europe it needs 1 billion euros to fight illegal…