The director of Spain’s National Intelligence Centre, Felix Sanz Roldan, has appeared before the county’s official secrets committee to clarify his departments role in NSA surveillance of Spanish citizens.
The probe will establish whether a crime has been committed and if a formal investigation is required.
The allegations that Spanish intelligence colluded with US agents will further dent public confidence in the government.
Respected newspaper El Mundo claimed that the NSA eavesdropped on 60 million Spanish phone calls in one month alone.
The daily said the information was leaked by former NSA worker Edward Snowden.
The United States admitted that phones in Europe were monitored, but said the NSA did not act in isolation.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3More Mediterranean deaths as desperate migrants head to Europe
- 4U.S. Navy sends two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 5‘More powerful than a nuke’: Kim Jong-un refreshed after ‘climbing highest peak’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12International news | euronews, latest international news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 16Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 17Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 18French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:11 CET Auschwitz bookkeeper set to stand trial in Germany
- 03:34 CET Japanese PM Abe makes ritual offering at Yasukuni shrine
- 01:56 CET Bomb explodes at Spanish embassy in Libyan capital
- 01:50 CET At least five shot during Guinea opposition protests
- 00:34 CET Canada to issue passport to jailed Al Jazeera journalist Fahmy
- 00:26 CET U.S. offers Ukraine $17.7 million in humanitarian aid – White House
- 23:53 CET U.S. Navy sends more warships near Yemen in security move
- 23:48 CET Obama, Abu Dhabi crown prince discuss need for military equipment