06/11/13 18:51 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The director of Spain’s National Intelligence Centre, Felix Sanz Roldan, has appeared before the county’s official secrets committee to clarify his departments role in NSA surveillance of Spanish citizens.
The probe will establish whether a crime has been committed and if a formal investigation is required.
The allegations that Spanish intelligence colluded with US agents will further dent public confidence in the government.
Respected newspaper El Mundo claimed that the NSA eavesdropped on 60 million Spanish phone calls in one month alone.
The daily said the information was leaked by former NSA worker Edward Snowden.
The United States admitted that phones in Europe were monitored, but said the NSA did not act in isolation.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5Protests against France’s labour reforms spread across the country with transport targeted
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
Catalonia: severe viral outbreak hospitalses more than 20 children
French union blockades spark petrol shortages
Kenya police break up CORD opposition protests against ‘electoral bias’
Controversial World Humanitarian Summit opens
Wires > News
- 03:26 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade
- 02:20 CET Facebook says found no political bias on Trending Topics
- 01:20 CET Canadian-Iranian citizen sentenced in U.S. for violating Iran…
- 23:03 CET Honduran family seeks dismissal of U.S. money laundering case
- 22:49 CET Taliban planned new attacks on U.S. targets in Kabul – …
- 22:41 CET North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader
- 22:37 CET Italy helps rescue 2,600 migrants from sea in 24 hours
- 22:27 CET Saudi border guard killed, three wounded in mine blast-agency