The anti-whaling activist and founder of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society Paul Watson is due to take the witness stand in a contempt of court hearing in Seattle.
Japan’s Institute of Cetacean Research brought the case before the US courts and claims Sea Shepherd has broken a US ruling which says ships must remain 457 metres from whaling vessels at all times.
The Japanese want the court to impose heavy fines on the anti-whaling organisation but said they would be willing to waive them if the protesters stop their action.
Sea Shepherd denies it broke the order and says it is their Australian namesake which confronted the whalers.
Watson and his group are well known for their high sea clashes in the Antarctic Ocean with Japanese fishing fleets. The 62-year-old Canadian has been on the run from authorities in three countries since May 2012 when he was detained in Germany on a Costa Rican extradition warrant. Japan was also seeking his extradition from Germany.
He skipped bail and German authorities issued a warrant for his arrest.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Pilot dies after Russian Army Games air display goes wrong
Missing MH370: piece of twisted metal found on Reunion island
Doping allegations involving 800 blood tests rock world of athletics
Deadly storms and floods wreak havoc in Myanmar and India
Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
Wires > News
- 17:11 CET Germany’s Merkel has chance of absolute majority, poll shows
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…
- 14:21 CET Italy coast guard rescues 1,800 sea migrants, five found dead
- 13:04 CET U.N. peacekeeper killed in clashes in Central African Republic -…
- 12:44 CET Gunmen in uniforms kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777