Bill de Blasio, aged 52, stands out for more than his physical size; the almost-two-metre-tall Italian-American, well-anchored towards the left of the Democratic party, was swept into the office of mayor.
Married to African-American activist and poet Chirlane McCray, the couple have two children. De Blasio has gathered together a coalition of support that includes women’s groups, Asian minorities and Hispanic and black voters.
In the run up to the election De Blasio said: “New York city is a city of families and neighbourhoods – progress that knows that we must be a city of opportunity for all.”
With a programme dedicated to middle earners in the US city with the most inequality, de Blasio gained a sizable lead on his Republican contender Joe Lhota. Lhota tried to make out that the Democrat would make concessions on safety which would lead to a rise in crime, but it didn’t work.
De Blasio has often criticised outgoing mayor Michael Bloomberg’s law and order policies, like stop-and-frisk practices by the New York police.
New Yorkers are more concerned about other things. No other city has such a high concentration of billionaires along with people living on the edge of poverty.
The income threshold for this is pegged at the equivalent of 23,000 euros for a family of four. More than one in every five New Yorkers live at this level.
De Blasio proposes has raising taxes on incomes above 375,000 euros (equivalent) per year, and a lot of people support this.
New York voter Tanya Pettis said: “I think de Blasio will be in our best interest. He looked like he’s more interested in what the people need and, you know, the schools and everything. Lhota seems like he’s not so much interested in the common person, the middle class. Nobody’s really helping the middle class. There isn’t any middle class anymore.”
De Blasio wants kindergarten from age four for everyone, and evening outside-school programmes, and he wants to build 200,000 socially-subsidised housing units – to be paid for out of an already stretched Big Apple annual budget of 52 billion euros – and shine a light on equality and liberty.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
US investigates dentist over killing of Cecil the Lion
At least 20 pilgrims dead after truck crashes into crowd in Mexico
Greenpeace protest halts icebreaker in Oregon
Chinese artist and activist denied six-month visa to Britain
Myanmar: Over 7,000 prisoners released in mass pardon
Wires > News
- 09:04 CET Philippines’ Aquino endorses interior minister as successor
- 08:53 CET Return of Thai protest leader raises fears for fragile calm
- 08:38 CET Myanmar president not ruling out second term
- 08:36 CET Palestinian toddler killed in suspected Jewish extremist attack
- 06:03 CET Killing of Cecil the lion triggers probe by U.S. agency – source
- 06:00 CET Chinese professor accused of spying by U.S. released on bail
- 05:41 CET Plane debris on remote island points to breakthrough in MH370…
- 03:35 CET Taiwan students storm education ministry compound in textbook…