04/11/13 17:54 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Four Somali men have been charged with helping the al-Shabaab extremists who attacked a shopping mall, killing at least 67 people.
The four are accused of supporting a terrorist group by giving shelter to the attackers in their homes in the Somali neighbourhood of Eastleigh in Nairobi as well as being in Kenya illegally.
None of them is accused of being involved in the shooting. The Kenyan army has said all four of the attackers died during the siege.
There are still few details about how the September attack on the Westgate shopping centre was masterminded or how gunmen held off Kenyan security forces for four days during the siege.
Somali Islamic militant group Al Shabaab has said it carried out the attack in retaliation for the Kenyan army being in Somalia where it is part of an African peacekeeping force.
The accused were named as Mohamed Ahmed Abdi, Liban Abdullah Omar and Hussein Hassan. A fourth was identified as Adan Mohamed Ibrahim, although he was listed as using other aliases.
Their trial is expected to start on November 11. The men have been remanded in custody until then.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 3Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5What is behind Turkey’s recent diplomatic push?
Latest world news
EU 27 meet in Brussels – and the UK is not invited
World condemns Turkey airport attack
Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 36 dead and scores injured
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Wires > News
- 10:00 CET India’s top court refuses to hear gay-sex ban challenge
- 09:17 CET Syria rebels battle IS at Iraqi border, aim to cut ‘caliphate’ in…
- 09:14 CET Malaysian police probe grenade attack, checking credibility of …
- 07:46 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…