04/11/13 17:54 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Four Somali men have been charged with helping the al-Shabaab extremists who attacked a shopping mall, killing at least 67 people.
The four are accused of supporting a terrorist group by giving shelter to the attackers in their homes in the Somali neighbourhood of Eastleigh in Nairobi as well as being in Kenya illegally.
None of them is accused of being involved in the shooting. The Kenyan army has said all four of the attackers died during the siege.
There are still few details about how the September attack on the Westgate shopping centre was masterminded or how gunmen held off Kenyan security forces for four days during the siege.
Somali Islamic militant group Al Shabaab has said it carried out the attack in retaliation for the Kenyan army being in Somalia where it is part of an African peacekeeping force.
The accused were named as Mohamed Ahmed Abdi, Liban Abdullah Omar and Hussein Hassan. A fourth was identified as Adan Mohamed Ibrahim, although he was listed as using other aliases.
Their trial is expected to start on November 11. The men have been remanded in custody until then.
- 1Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 2Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
- 3Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
- 4Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- 5Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Latest world news
Dozens killed in ISIL suicide blasts in southern Iraq
Syria: Russia ‘seeks truce for Aleppo’ after wave of deadly bombings
Collapsed Kenya building ‘had no occupancy permit’
Turkey: Police officers killed by deadly car bomb near Syria border
Venezuela: More pay and less sleep as economic crisis hits hard
Wires > News
- 16:59 CET Donald Trump says Republican race all but over if he wins Indiana
- 16:04 CET Foreign minister reaffirms Japan’s economic ties to Thailand
- 15:43 CET Austrian chancellor booed at party rally after election drubbing
- 15:33 CET Russia says talks to extend Syrian lull in fighting to Aleppo
- 15:07 CET Death toll from building collapse in Kenya rises to 16
- 14:41 CET Anti-immigrant AfD says Muslims not welcome in Germany
- 14:35 CET Islamic State suicide attacks kill 32 in southern Iraq
- 14:02 CET Sturgeon says Scottish independence vote likely if she wins…