Babies born in Germany with both male and female characteristics – known as intersex – can now have their gender left blank on birth certificates.
It is hoped parents will no longer feel pressured into quick decisions on sex assignment surgery in order to tick a male or female box.
An estimated one in 2,000 people are born with characteristics of both genders.
Katinka Schweizer from Hamburg University says decisions for babies and children who are intersex should not be rushed.
“Intersexuality is not a disease. It is a variant of nature. It is a term that describes many phenomena. There are forms that come with the need to treat the condition. But when it is about cosmetic surgery of the genitals then one should wait long enough until the persons can take their own decisions,” Schweizer said.
Germany is the first country in Europe to offer this option on a birth certificate, and only the second in the world after Australia.
German passports, will also have a third designation of X, alongside M and F.
The law was changed after a review of cases revealed early surgery forcing people into a particular gender had caused great suffering.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ceasefire holds in eastern Ukraine except for Mariupol region
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 4Labeled as ‘Art/Craft’ a stolen Picasso worth millions is found in New York airport
- 5Dutch town cowers in terror over Eagle owl attacks
- 1Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 2Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire appears to take hold
- 3New, huge black hole challenges pre-existing theories
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Amnesty report blasts UN, governments for not doing protective duty
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 3New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 4Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 7Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 12New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 13euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 17Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 18World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 19Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 15:05 CET Quake 6.9 strikes off Indonesia, no tsunami threat
- 14:45 CET Cameron vows to hunt down ‘Jihadi John’
- 14:42 CET Asia-Pacific women better educated yet lag behind men in…
- 14:18 CET Mexico attorney general who handled student massacre probe to step…
- 14:13 CET Iran, six powers to hold nuclear talks in Switzerland on March 5 -…
- 14:10 CET Italian lawmakers urge recognition of Palestinian state
- 14:04 CET Mexico captures most wanted drug kingpin, ‘La Tuta’
- 14:03 CET Holder says U.S. malls should ‘step up’ security – CNN