31/10/13 17:58 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Protesters demanding better housing rights in Italy have clashed with police in central Rome.
Reports say at least six people including four police officers were slightly injured and taken to hospital. There were several arrests.
As some demonstrators threw bottles, eggs and tried to mount an armoured vehicle, the police responded using batons and tear gas.
Several hundred people including a number of immigrants had rallied in response to the call of a housing protest group.They demand the right to be housed and denounce forced evictions for unpaid rent.
“We believe that Ignazio Marino (the Mayor of Rome) should be banging his fists on the table today. He must absolutely insist on an end to the evictions of those who can’t pay,” said activist Paolo Di Vetta.
Maurizio Lupi, the minister responsible for housing, has announced that in 2014 two funds worth a total of 140 million euros of aid will be put towards helping tenants in difficulty. But no change is in sight regarding the law on evictions.
Recent weeks have seen several protests over the consequences of Italy’s recession, the longest since World War II.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21
Latest world news
Fatal crane collapse in New York City
Taiwan: Multiple buildings collapse after a 6.4 magnitude earthquake
Catholic Saint Padre Pio’s remains begin journey to the Vatican
Gunmen shoot dead 1, injure 2, at Dublin boxing event
One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
Wires > News
- 22:29 CET Pope, Russian Orthodox patriarch to hold historic meeting in Cuba
- 22:26 CET Al Qaeda group claims kidnapping of Australians in Burkina Faso
- 22:25 CET Magnitude 6.4 earthquake hits southern Taiwan – USGS
- 21:59 CET Zika found in saliva; no Carnival kissing, Brazil warns pregnant…
- 20:36 CET Heavy clashes in southeast Libya, 30 killed
- 20:30 CET U.S., Britain eye letting UK spy agencies seek email, chat data…
- 20:03 CET Serbian minister dismissed over insult to journalist
- 19:30 CET Italian student killed in Egypt criticised Cairo government in…