Sandy Hook Elementary School, where 20 young children and six adults were killed last year in one of America’s worst ever school shootings, is being razed to the ground.
Parents in Newtown, Connecticut, did not want to send their youngsters back to the building where their classmates had been gunned down. Others are divided on the demolition.
Local diner owner Cliff Rothe is in favour of reducing the site to rubble. He said it should be done: “For the sake of the kids that were there, the teachers that will be there for years even after the kids that were enrolled there are gone.”
He said: “It was an old school to begin with, so yeah, tear it down and put up a new one.”
But former Sandy Hook resident Wally Brehm disagreed. “Why tear the school down?” he asked. “You could have just remodelled the two rooms where all the stuff happened. A new school does not take the memory away. It is a waste of money.”
On December 14 last year, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, who had grown up in Newtown, killed his mother before going on the rampage at the Sandy Hook school. He then turned the gun on himself.
The shooting, and the fact that most of his victims were 6- and 7-year-olds sparked a national debate on firearms control.
A new school on the same site is expected to open by December 2016.