26/10/13 16:46 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Several Saudi women risked arrest by taking part in a protest against a ban on females driving on October 26. They got behind the wheel and posted videos online of themselves doing so.
Others who had planned to take part, however, stayed home after the government warned of prosecutions and punishments. Several activists said they received threatening phone calls telling them not to participate.
Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world where women are not allowed to drive. The ban is informal, rather than enshrined in law.
Activist and writer Tamador Alyami said clarification was needed from the authorities: “They are giving us confusing messages. There’s nothing clear about it, no clear law, no clear punishment, so the message is not clear and that’s why we’re fighting for it.”
The campaign has sparked a wider debate in Saudi society over how women are treated. Social activist and comedian Hisham Fageeh recorded an ironic video, entitled ‘No Woman, No Drive’ and posted it on YouTube on the day of the protest.
Fageeh’s unique twist on Bob Marley’s ‘No Woman, No Cry’ had been viewed more than 140,000 times within hours of being posted online.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 09:29 CET North Korea says to freeze assets of South Korean firms at Kaesong
- 09:27 CET Greek navy helicopter crashes in Aegean, three feared dead
- 09:20 CET Exclusive – Australia directed officials how to address Nauru…
- 09:11 CET Dozens face riot charges over Hong Kong Lunar New Year violence
- 08:57 CET Thailand’s ‘sea gypsies’ fight for access to ancestral shrines
- 08:54 CET Bangladesh upholds death sentences over 2004 attack on British…
- 08:43 CET Angola says 37 dead in yellow fever outbreak
- 07:59 CET Australian looks set for climate sceptic deputy PM