Tens of thousands of people have taken to the streets of Budapest marking Hungary’s National Day and the failed anti-Soviet uprising of 1956.
With an election coming up, many were looking to the future as well as the past with shows of support for and against the government.
It was the biggest rally yet for Viktor Orban’s conservative administration with some 200,000 participants.
In power since 2010, Orban invoked the spirit of Hungary’s rebellion, urging supporters to mobilise for a new battle against the heirs of the communists. He says he saved the country from economic collapse.
“We came here because we want to know what is going on and what we have to do to make things happen as we wish,” Orban said in a speech in Budapest’s Heroes’ Square, where he first made his name by calling for a pullout of Soviet troops in 1989. “There is no need to rush, but slowly we have to start campaigning. We have to prepare for the fight, just like we did in 2010.”
Our correspondent in Budapest, Andrea Hajagos, said: “On October 23 in Hungary, we commemorate events that are well-known throughout the world. However in recent years most of the discussion has been focused on today’s domestic politics – especially now, six months before the next elections.”
Opposition leaders like Gordon Bajnai, Hungary’s former technocrat prime minister, failed to draw the crowds they had been hoping for despite moves by the left and liberals to put on a united front. The opposition turnout was only around 25,000 people.
As Hungary marks its history standing up to Soviet domination, Orban’s critics claim his government today has passed legislation to weaken democracy.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 3Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Suspected people traffickers accused of murder – a first in Italian legal history
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Wires > News
- 16:20 CET Iran’s Rouhani says military power not affected by nuclear deal -…
- 16:03 CET Malaysia’s Mahathir joins protesters calling for PM to go
- 15:55 CET China grants amnesty to mark anniversary of WW2 victory
- 15:53 CET China grants amnesty to mark anniversary of WW2 victory
- 15:33 CET Turkish jets join U.S.-led coalition strikes on Islamic State
- 15:04 CET Egyptian court sentences three Al Jazeera journalists to prison
- 14:55 CET Military plane crashes in northern Nigeria, killing seven
- 14:46 CET Russia says Ukrainian hostage freed in Afghanistan