22/10/13 13:54 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi is urging Europe to help the Myanmar achieve full democracy.
Under house arrest when the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought was awarded to her in 1990, Suu Kyi finally collected it at the European Parliament in Strasbourg on Tuesday.
“It is more important that we work on the imperfections of societies and of laws and of practices that truly hurt us as human beings, that erode the foundation of human dignity. It is because of this that we feel our quest for democracy is not yet at an end!” Suu Kyi said during her acceptance speech.
Suu Kyi’s party won all but two of the seats available in Myanmar’s parliament in November 2010, but she says the country’s government needs to continue with its reform programme.
President of the European Parliament Martin Schulz presented Suu Kyi with the Sakharov Prize. He told euronews: “The speech she gave today in the house shows that democracy is always at risk – nothing can be taken for granted! Therefore the appeal to us, is not only to look at democracy in her country, but all over in the world! This is a very important message!”
Suu Kyi spent 15 years under house arrest, during which time she received the Nobel Peace Prize as well as the EU’s Sakharov Prize.
The pro-democracy campaigner is a on two-week tour of Europe to gather support for reforms in Myanmar – particularly to the country’s constitution.
- 1Russia envoy to EU sees ‘negative impact’ on Turkey ties
- 2Captagon: the so-called ‘super’ stimulant ‘used in Syria’
- 3Belgian security officials hit back at French criticism
- 4EU backs French demands for better surveillance after Paris attacks
- 5ISIL threat is ‘a wake-up call for Europe’, says leading defence expert
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary