21/10/13 16:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An explosion has torn through a bus in southern Russia, in what the authorities say was a bomb attack, killing at least five people.
Investigators say another 20 were injured. They believe it was the work of a female suicide bomber, a rebel chief’s wife who had recently converted to Islam.
It happened in the city of Volgograd, formerly known as Stalingrad. There has been no claim of responsibility.
Several hundred kilometres to the south, Islamist insurgents have carried out attacks in Russia’s mostly Muslim North Caucasus.
If the bus blast is confirmed as terrorism, it makes it the deadliest attack outside the region in nearly three years.
Initial reports spoke of a gas explosion but the authorities then launched a terrorism inquiry.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
Latest world news
Diplomatic row at the UN highlights the difficulties for peace in Syria
Fresh fears about Zika virus after three deaths in Colombia
Fatal crane collapse in New York City
Ten-day-old baby among dead after powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Catholic Saint Padre Pio’s remains begin journey to the Vatican
Wires > News
- 07:06 CET As Myanmar powerbrokers talk, could Suu Kyi emerge as president?
- 06:30 CET Quake fells Taiwan apartment building, at least five dead
- 05:25 CET China faces diplomatic ‘crisis’ over missing Hong Kong booksellers
- 03:51 CET Convicted al Qaeda supporter, U.S. face off in medical malpractice…
- 03:21 CET Al Qaeda group claims kidnapping of Australians in Burkina Faso
- 00:41 CET Pentagon releases photos tied to Afghan, Iraq detainee abuse
- 00:14 CET Despite Libya urgency, hurdles to quick action against Islamic…
- 23:53 CET Exclusive – U.S. presidential hopefuls Sanders, Clinton in dead…