A Roma couple are appearing in court in Greece accused of abducting a young blonde girl known as Maria.
The pair, aged 40 and 39, are also expected to be charged with falsifying documents.
The charity caring for the girl in Athens, Smile of the Child, said it had received 8,000 calls from around the world since issuing a call for help in identifying her.
The couple, who were found not to be the child’s biological parents, have been held at the police headquarters in Larissa, the region of central Greece where the girl, 4, was found.
The couple’s lawyer denies they were involved in trafficking, saying they were given the child by her real mother, who couldn’t look after her.
“Our clients’ claim is that ‘we never abducted this child we just adopted her’, in a way that was not legal. That we can confess,” Kostas Katsavos said.
Police said the couple gave several conflicting accounts of how the girl ended up living with them at the Roma settlement in Farsala.
They added that she seemed to speak only a few words in the Roma dialect.
Relatives of the couple have insisted she had been with them since she was a baby and was properly cared for.
- 1Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 2Greece: with referendum looming ‘Yes’ vote ahead, opinion poll suggests
- 3Finland tops European countries in latest happiness survey
- 4Thousands rally in France in support of Greek “no” vote
- 5Tsipras: ‘no’ vote will mean a better deal with lenders
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 19Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 09:59 CET Afghan parliament rejects second defense minister nominee
- 09:57 CET Syrian army and Hezbollah launch major assault on border city – …
- 05:28 CET Japan pledges $6 billion to Mekong nations as China prepares new…
- 04:44 CET Honduras stages biggest march yet to demand president step down
- 04:12 CET Panama top court approves third probe against ex-president…
- 02:44 CET Guatemala Congress committee recommends ending Perez’s immunity
- 02:22 CET Pilot killed in Colorado crash of medical transport helicopter
- 01:41 CET France’s Hollande says ready to hold new summit on Boko Haram