21/10/13 11:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Roma couple are appearing in court in Greece accused of abducting a young blonde girl known as Maria.
The pair, aged 40 and 39, are also expected to be charged with falsifying documents.
The charity caring for the girl in Athens, Smile of the Child, said it had received 8,000 calls from around the world since issuing a call for help in identifying her.
The couple, who were found not to be the child’s biological parents, have been held at the police headquarters in Larissa, the region of central Greece where the girl, 4, was found.
The couple’s lawyer denies they were involved in trafficking, saying they were given the child by her real mother, who couldn’t look after her.
“Our clients’ claim is that ‘we never abducted this child we just adopted her’, in a way that was not legal. That we can confess,” Kostas Katsavos said.
Police said the couple gave several conflicting accounts of how the girl ended up living with them at the Roma settlement in Farsala.
They added that she seemed to speak only a few words in the Roma dialect.
Relatives of the couple have insisted she had been with them since she was a baby and was properly cared for.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal.
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Wires > News
- 09:33 CET Dhaka arrests five Bangladeshis deported from Singapore
- 09:28 CET Air raids hit east of Damascus after ‘calm’ expires – Observatory
- 08:40 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 08:17 CET Car bomb blast in southeast Turkey kills one Turkish soldier…
- 08:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan advances weekly PM meet to Wednesday as tension…
- 07:58 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 07:48 CET ‘Bongbong’, the son, leads Marcos revival in the Philippines
- 07:36 CET Canadian wildfire forces evacuation order for entire city