A Roma couple are appearing in court in Greece accused of abducting a young blonde girl known as Maria.
The pair, aged 40 and 39, are also expected to be charged with falsifying documents.
The charity caring for the girl in Athens, Smile of the Child, said it had received 8,000 calls from around the world since issuing a call for help in identifying her.
The couple, who were found not to be the child’s biological parents, have been held at the police headquarters in Larissa, the region of central Greece where the girl, 4, was found.
The couple’s lawyer denies they were involved in trafficking, saying they were given the child by her real mother, who couldn’t look after her.
“Our clients’ claim is that ‘we never abducted this child we just adopted her’, in a way that was not legal. That we can confess,” Kostas Katsavos said.
Police said the couple gave several conflicting accounts of how the girl ended up living with them at the Roma settlement in Farsala.
They added that she seemed to speak only a few words in the Roma dialect.
Relatives of the couple have insisted she had been with them since she was a baby and was properly cared for.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Spain: NATO plane crash kills 10, injures 21
- 2Ukraine rebels pursue offensive in worst fighting since September
- 3Alexis Tsipras: Left-wing, anti-austerity and in charge of Greece
- 4Second symbolic gesture and first official visit for Tsipras
- 5Soaring Swiss franc may leave EU mortgage holders homeless
- 1International concern grows after fighting in Ukraine escalates
- 2Soaring Swiss franc may leave EU mortgage holders homeless
- 3Six French skiers perish in deadly Alpine avalanche
- 4Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 5Auschwitz and other survivors who were ‘freed but never free’
- 1Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 2Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 3German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 4Captured Ukraine troops forced to face angry crowd after Donetsk bus stop shelling
- 5No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 10Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:12 CET Insight – On climate change, “not a scientist” not enough for some…
- 06:54 CET Blizzard shuts down New York City, much of U.S. Northeast
- 05:39 CET AirAsia crash report won’t include black box data – investigator
- 05:22 CET Herder kills himself in Inner Mongolia over land grab
- 04:17 CET Fidel Castro appears to lend support to Cuba talks with U.S
- 03:46 CET Argentine president plans to dissolve spy agency after…
- 02:14 CET Eight French, two Greeks killed in NATO plane crash in Spain
- 00:10 CET Top Malian army officer survives assassination attempt in capital…