21/10/13 16:12 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) says it will not examine the thoroughness of a Russian investigation into the massacre of Polish war prisoners in 1940.
The infamous incident in the Katyn area, which left over 20,000 dead at the hands of the Soviet secret police, led to a bitter international dispute.
In 1944, a Soviet commission accused German soldiers of the executions and only accepted the blame in 1990.
According to a declassified KGB memorandum, the order came from Soviet Communist Party leaders.
Although the ECHR said Russia had kept key files secret, it also said that it had no authority because too much time had elapsed between the killings and the introduction of the European Convention on Human Rights.
In an attempt at reconciliation, former Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and his Polish counterpart Donald Tusk met in 2010 to commemorate the victims. To date, nobody has ever been convicted for the atrocity.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 4Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Wires > News
- 13:29 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 13:18 CET Fists fly as Sri Lankan MPs protest changing of the guard for…
- 13:17 CET Rebel shelling kills at least 19 in Aleppo – Observatory
- 13:07 CET Hungary plans to hold migrant quota referendum in September or…
- 13:01 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…
- 12:48 CET Stealing food not a crime if you are homeless and hungry – Italian…
- 12:38 CET China to investigate hospital dying student found on search engine
- 12:24 CET Canadian held for second day after social media criticism of Nepal…