The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) says it will not examine the thoroughness of a Russian investigation into the massacre of Polish war prisoners in 1940.
The infamous incident in the Katyn area, which left over 20,000 dead at the hands of the Soviet secret police, led to a bitter international dispute.
In 1944, a Soviet commission accused German soldiers of the executions and only accepted the blame in 1990.
According to a declassified KGB memorandum, the order came from Soviet Communist Party leaders.
Although the ECHR said Russia had kept key files secret, it also said that it had no authority because too much time had elapsed between the killings and the introduction of the European Convention on Human Rights.
In an attempt at reconciliation, former Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and his Polish counterpart Donald Tusk met in 2010 to commemorate the victims. To date, nobody has ever been convicted for the atrocity.
- 1Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 2Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 3Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 4Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 5Turkey joins US-led coalition in airstrikes against ISIL in Syria
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5France awards Legion of Honour to men who disarmed train gunman
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Migrant crisis: Joint border patrols by Bulgarian and Hungarian police
Cries of ‘Revolution’ at Lebanon rubbish rally
Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
Turkey joins US-led coalition in airstrikes against ISIL in Syria
Alexis Tsipras appeals for mandate to complete political reforms in Greece
Wires > News
- 13:19 CET Egypt summons UK ambassador over criticism of Al Jazeera trial
- 13:18 CET Gunmen attack small Pakistani airport, kill two engineers
- 12:58 CET Italy’s Renzi brushes off concerns over Senate reform drive
- 12:53 CET Swiss reject Indian request for help in arms case
- 11:51 CET Huge protest in Tokyo rails against PM Abe’s security bills
- 11:44 CET French PM booed by young Socialists as party split over…
- 11:40 CET U.S. national security adviser discusses militant attacks in…
- 11:28 CET Egypt summons UK ambassador over criticism of AlJazeera trial