21/10/13 06:55 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Tensions are high in Brazil ahead of the auction of exploration rights of the Libra offshore oil near Rio de Janeiro.
More than 1,000 troops will stand guard outside the hotel where the sell-off will take place.
Workers at the state run oil company Petrobras have been on strike since Thursday in protest at the sale.
They also briefly occupied Brazil’s mines and energy ministry in Brasilia in protest.
The Libra field holds an estimated eight billion to 12 billion barrels of recoverable oil, according to both Brazil’s oil regulator and Dallas-based oil-reserve certification company Degolyer & MacNaughton.
If the projection holds up, Libra could nearly double Brazil’s oil reserves or have enough oil to supply the world’s crude demand for as much as 19 weeks.
Opposition to the sale of Libra is strong among Petrobras unions. The unions remain amgry about the 1997 end of Petrobras’ monopoly over exploration, production and refining and regularly attack any non-Petrobras involvement in oil production, whether the involvement is domestic or foreign.
The union’s nationalist sentiment is widely shared in Brazil. The creation of Petrobras 60 years ago this month is still considered by many, especially older Brazilians, as an act of national liberation.
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 3Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 4How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 5Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Paris terror attack victims honoured at national memorial service
Kenya: Pope Francis visits slum, calls for more to be done about poverty
Paris terror victims honoured in national memorial service
USA: estimates suggest early Black Friday sales not up to the mark
Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
Wires > News
- 14:16 CET Islamic State claims attack on Bangladesh Shi’ite shrine; one dead
- 14:06 CET Kremlin says Turkey’s Erdogan requests meeting with Putin in Paris
- 13:49 CET Polish ship attacked off Nigeria coast, five sailors held, Poland…
- 13:17 CET Two Palestinians ram cars into Israeli soldiers, shot dead
- 13:07 CET France pays tribute to victims of Paris attacks
- 12:51 CET Thailand says ‘highly likely’ it will seek TPP membership
- 12:40 CET Governments take rose-tinted view of climate projections before…
- 12:31 CET Kenya backs down from threat to leave ICC over Vice-President