Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke, who died last week in Rome, made a video before his death defending his role in the 1944 massacre in Italy during which he killed 335 citizens.
His lawyer released the video on the same day as his funeral was scheduled:
“Of course, it wasn’t possible to disobey,” said Priebke.
“Before starting the retaliation, Schulz told everybody that those were Hitler’s orders, and we had to execute them. Anybody who didn’t want to do that would have had to line up with the victims to be executed, too,” he added.
Priebke has never apologised for the crimes he committed.
After the war, Priebke fled to Argentina, where his wife is now buried. The country has refused to allow his body to return for burial next to her. His hometown in Germany would not provide a grave, either, through fear of it becoming a pilgrimage site for neo-Nazis.
His family are now asking for his body to be released to them.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 09:57 CET Barnacles on debris could provide clues to missing MH370 – experts
- 09:50 CET Kerry seeks to convince Gulf Arabs on Iran deal
- 09:28 CET Israel approves jailing Jewish militants without trial to resolve…
- 08:56 CET Rescuers in Myanmar struggle to reach flood-hit areas, toll seen…
- 08:13 CET Taiwan school textbook row highlights antipathy to ‘one China’
- 06:18 CET Republicans begin pivotal debate week with New Hampshire forum
- 04:05 CET Mexico City prosecutor confirms killing of news photographer
- 03:17 CET U.N. states agree post-2015 sustainable development agenda