17/10/13 20:16 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke, who died last week in Rome, made a video before his death defending his role in the 1944 massacre in Italy during which he killed 335 citizens.
His lawyer released the video on the same day as his funeral was scheduled:
“Of course, it wasn’t possible to disobey,” said Priebke.
“Before starting the retaliation, Schulz told everybody that those were Hitler’s orders, and we had to execute them. Anybody who didn’t want to do that would have had to line up with the victims to be executed, too,” he added.
Priebke has never apologised for the crimes he committed.
After the war, Priebke fled to Argentina, where his wife is now buried. The country has refused to allow his body to return for burial next to her. His hometown in Germany would not provide a grave, either, through fear of it becoming a pilgrimage site for neo-Nazis.
His family are now asking for his body to be released to them.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Kasich crashes out of race leaving Trump unchallenged for Republican nomination
End of May Hong Kong sale to feature world’s biggest green diamond
Papa Wemba buried in Kinshasa
Wires > News
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’
- 18:29 CET Syria withholds aid to thousands, risks new siege in Aleppo – U.N.