A powerful typhoon has battered the area south of Tokyo, but side-swiped the city itself as it moved up the coast towards Fukushima.
At least 13 people were killed and dozens wounded on Izu Oshima island – where the typhoon triggered landslides and the huge winds flattened dozens of homes.
Wipha has weakened from its peak, when it was packing winds of up to 180 kilometres over Izu Oshima, which is around 120 kilometres from Tokyo.
In the capital itself, residents battled against torrential rains and wind during the morning rush hour. Hundreds of commuters were also left stranded by trains that were delayed or cancelled.
As Wipha headed northwards, operators of the wrecked nuclear plant Fukushima were taking precautions and said offshore work had been halted.
- 1Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 2Ukraine: Policeman killed and scores injured as MPs back more autonomy for the east
- 3Migrants: Austria tightens up border controls
- 4‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 5Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 11:39 CET China says Japan complaints about U.N. Ban’s WW2 parade visit…
- 11:10 CET Asked about Trump, China says U.S. people want good ties
- 09:55 CET Turkish police raid conglomerate with close links to cleric Gulen
- 09:34 CET Shaky Japanese submarine pitch puts Australian industry offside
- 09:32 CET Three killed, dozens wounded, in suicide attack on Pakistan forces
- 08:37 CET Singapore ruling party for first time faces election fight for…
- 07:33 CET Reporters cleared in Thai navy defamation case
- 06:07 CET Insight – Anti-Muslim Buddhist group moves toward Myanmar’s…