16/10/13 10:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A powerful typhoon has battered the area south of Tokyo, but side-swiped the city itself as it moved up the coast towards Fukushima.
At least 13 people were killed and dozens wounded on Izu Oshima island – where the typhoon triggered landslides and the huge winds flattened dozens of homes.
Wipha has weakened from its peak, when it was packing winds of up to 180 kilometres over Izu Oshima, which is around 120 kilometres from Tokyo.
In the capital itself, residents battled against torrential rains and wind during the morning rush hour. Hundreds of commuters were also left stranded by trains that were delayed or cancelled.
As Wipha headed northwards, operators of the wrecked nuclear plant Fukushima were taking precautions and said offshore work had been halted.
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Deadly bomb attack on hotel in Somalia’s capital
North Korea marks anniversary of start of Korean war
More than 20 dead in West Virginia in US state’s ‘worst floods in a century’
Russian governor Nikita Belykh held over ‘large bribe’ in corruption probe
Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
Wires > News
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea
- 19:13 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 19:07 CET Brazil’s Temer says women should retire earlier than men – paper
- 17:33 CET Brexit crisis tops off rough stretch in Obama’s push for legacy
- 17:25 CET Eight Indian police officials dead, 20 injured in Kashmir militant…
- 17:24 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 17:07 CET Irish unity vote for later, not now – foreign minister
- 16:58 CET Syrian or Russian air strikes kill dozens in eastern Syria -…