A powerful typhoon has battered the area south of Tokyo, but side-swiped the city itself as it moved up the coast towards Fukushima.
At least 13 people were killed and dozens wounded on Izu Oshima island – where the typhoon triggered landslides and the huge winds flattened dozens of homes.
Wipha has weakened from its peak, when it was packing winds of up to 180 kilometres over Izu Oshima, which is around 120 kilometres from Tokyo.
In the capital itself, residents battled against torrential rains and wind during the morning rush hour. Hundreds of commuters were also left stranded by trains that were delayed or cancelled.
As Wipha headed northwards, operators of the wrecked nuclear plant Fukushima were taking precautions and said offshore work had been halted.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 01:25 CET U.S. says Palestinian-American killed by Israeli forces
- 01:17 CET Mali’s first Ebola case, a two-year-old girl, dies – officials
- 01:12 CET Attacks in Egypt’s Sinai kill 33 security personnel
- 01:02 CET Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- 23:26 CET Drone strike kills three al Qaeda-linked militants – tribal sources
- 22:42 CET At least four dead in escape bid at model Dominican Republic jail
- 22:34 CET Lebanon army clashes with gunmen, kills two in Tripoli – sources
- 22:14 CET U.S. general says he believes North Korea can build nuclear warhead