BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Philippines quake: death toll rises as bodies retrieved from the rubble

Now Reading:

Philippines quake: death toll rises as bodies retrieved from the rubble

Text size Aa Aa

Officials in the Philippines said that at least 107 people had been killed by Tuesday’s 7.2 magnitude earthquake. There are also unconfirmed reports that the death toll will top 140.

Ninety seven of the victims were on Bohol island, which bore the brunt of the quake. The nearby island of Cebu was also hit hard.

Bohol resident Baby Cruz, in tears as she stood next to a building reduced to rubble, said: “We are calling for help so that we can recover my father’s remains. This is very hard on us.”

Many of those affected woke on Wednesday from a night spent outdoors, afraid to return home for fear of aftershocks. More than 840 have been recorded.

None of the residents had experienced a quake so hard. A local expert said it had been centuries since Bohol had been hit with such magnitude.