14/10/13 10:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Hundreds of thousands of Muslim pilgrims have been arriving at Mount Arafat in Saudi Arabia for the end of the Hajj pilgrimage.
Arriving on foot, by bus and by train, they came from from nearby Mina where most had spent the night following in the footsteps of Prophet Mohammed 14 centuries ago.
There are about two million Muslims taking part in Hajj , the numbers down on last year.The Saudi government has imposed a 20% reduction on quotas of people from abroad and 50% within Saudi Arabia over fears of infections from the MERS virus. There have been more than 50 deaths from the disease in the country. Later on Monday the pilgrims will have prayers and listen to a sermon from Saudi cleric Sheikh Abdulaziz al-Sheikh.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal.
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Wires > News
- 08:40 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 08:17 CET Car bomb blast in southeast Turkey kills one Turkish soldier…
- 08:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan advances weekly PM meet to Wednesday as tension…
- 07:58 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 07:48 CET ‘Bongbong’, the son, leads Marcos revival in the Philippines
- 07:36 CET Canadian wildfire forces evacuation order for entire city
- 06:14 CET Amid scandal, China military hospital closes doors to new patients
- 05:00 CET Top prosecutor asks to investigate Brazil president