14/10/13 18:42 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Catholic Church and German prosecutors are investigating a bishop over allegations of wildly extravagant spending and lying under oath.
Franz-Peter Tebartz-van Elst is said to have flown first-class to India to visit the poor.
Summoned to Rome where he reportedly flew with Ryanair, he met senior Vatican officials who are set to decide whether he can stay in office.
While the new pope stresses humility and helping the poor, the bishop reportedly spent 31 million euros on a luxury home and office.
The head of the Church in Germany said a commission would investigate starting this week.
“They’re experts in canon law, finance and construction. They must find out what the building costs should have been and how decisions were made,” Archbishop Robert Zollitsch said.
A church audit revealed the bishop’s building project in Limburg near Frankfurt went six times over-budget.
It featured a chapel, a museum, private flats and a 15,000 euro bath.
“It’s catastrophic what the bishop has done. He needs to be deposed for wasting our money like that,” said one local man.
“What the man has done is not good. He needs to be punished for that. You cannot do that with other people’s money, you cannot beg for money all the time and then build a place like that,” added another.
The case has thoroughly embarrassed the Catholic Church in Germany, just as Pope Francis had boosted its popularity.
The bishop has apologised for “any carelessness or misjudgement”.
The German church’s report is due by the end of the year.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
Tens of thousands of Syrian refugees in camps next to Turkey border
Aleppo: Germany and Turkey call on NATO for help with refugees
Gusty winds hit Europe – on both sides of the Channel
Spain: puppeteers charged with “glorifying terrorism”
Continuity IRA reportedly behind Dublin shooting
Wires > News
- 22:00 CET Israel may bank on Obama’s successor for future U.S. aid pact -…
- 21:55 CET Lives at risk unless WHO reforms, U.N. report says
- 21:44 CET U.S. defence intelligence chief predicts increased Islamic State…
- 21:02 CET Migrant arrivals to Greece’s Lesbos rise after days of bad weather
- 19:43 CET Four killed in crash of Russian military helicopter
- 19:14 CET Riot police detain forex mortgage protesters in Moscow
- 19:10 CET Obama, Italy’s Mattarella discuss fight against Islamic State in…
- 16:48 CET Uganda police buy anti-riot gear ahead of Museveni’s re-election…