Barack Obama has warned opposition politicians to stop using “threats and extortion” over the ongoing US government shutdown.
The president, addressing a news conference, said the American people don’t demand a ransom for doing their jobs, so neither should Republicans.
The US government closed down on October 1, when Congress was unable to agree a budget. Republicans, who control the House of Representatives, refused to approve the budget, claiming they would only do so in exchange for concessions over Obama’s controversial healthcare reform law.
Obama now says he is willing to talk about any issues once Congress has voted to re-open government and raise the debt ceiling.
He said: “I will sit down and work with anyone of any party not only to talk about the budget, I’ll talk about ways to improve the healthcare system.”
He added that ordinary Americans would suffer if the debt ceiling wasn’t raised and the country defaulted.
Obama said: “A decision to actually go through with it, to actually permit default according to many CEOs and economists would be and I’m quoting here ‘insane catastrophic chaos’ , these are some of the more polite words. Warren Buffet likened default to a nuclear bomb.
“We can’t make extortion routine as part of our democracy. Democracy doesn’t function this way. And this is not just for me. It’s also for my successors in office, whatever party they’re from.”
Obama said that if Congress refused to raise the debt ceiling, America would not be able to meet its financial obligations for the first time in 225 years.
The US has until October 17 to raise its borrowing limit before it risks defaulting.
The shutdown has delayed talks with the European Union over a free trade deal.
- 1Death toll after Nepal earthquake climbs to more than 1,900
- 2Russian pro-Putin bikers set off on controversial “Victory Ride” to Berlin
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Indonesia: Seven drug convicts will be executed in days
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 20Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 06:58 CET Obama pokes fun at political friends and foes at White House dinner
- 06:40 CET U.S. official denies report of Islamic State plot in California
- 05:56 CET Nepalese dig with bare hands for quake survivors as toll rises to…
- 05:44 CET Exclusive – “Forced to captain migrant boat at gunpoint”
- 01:30 CET Russian hackers read Obama’s unclassified emails last year – NYT
- 00:33 CET Two Swedes abducted by Nusfra Front in Syria freed – TT news agency
- 23:31 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 21:46 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…