08/10/13 21:40 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A meeting of EU Justice and Home Affairs ministers in Luxembourg on Tuesday has added Lampedusa tragedy to the agenda.
Arguments remain over whether all EU member states are pulling their weight when it comes to accepting claims for asylum.
Describing exactly what the ministers would be discussing, EU Commissioner for Home Affairs Cecilia Malmström said they were: “ asking all member states to do their utmost to resettle and to share the responsibility because today there are six or seven countries who take all the responsibility and we are 28 in this union.”
Germany takes in the second highest number of asylum seekers in the world. Germany’s Interior Minister Hans-Peter Friedrich wants to fight human trafficking by cooperating with African states.
“What is happening here is unspeakable. That smugglers are able to lure people in Africa with promises, to take all their money, and then put people on these boats that are in incredibly bad condition and sail into the Mediterranean – that is unacceptable,” said Friedrich.
As well as migrants from Africa, the conflict in Syria is adding to the number of people willing to risk their lives to reach Europe.
Swedish Minister for Migration and Asylum Policy, Tobias Billström, said: “Lives are being lost, both in the Mediterranean and also in Syria. So far this year 10,000 people have sought asylum from Syria in my country. Germany and Sweden together take two-thirds of the people fleeing Syria.”
Asylum seekers and refugees who reach an EU country must make their application where they arrive.
Southern European states want to see a redistribution of asylum applications. Northern countries argue they already grant two-thirds of successful applications.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 13‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Latest News Bulletin
- 18Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid