Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti suffered a horrifying crash during the Grand Prix of Houston on Sunday leaving the 40-year-old Briton in hospital with concussion, a spinal fracture and a broken ankle.
The Scotsman who is a four-time Indycar Series champion was awake and alert when he was sent to hospital, where he stayed overnight.
IndyCar officials confirmed in a statement that he did not require surgery for the spinal injury.
The accident happened on the final lap of the race when Franchitti’s car clipped another competitor’s vehicle, went airborne and smashed into the catch fence sending debris flying across the track and into the packed out grandstands.
Thirteen spectators were reportedly injured – two of which were sent to hospital for treatment.
The crash comes nearly two years after one of Franchitti’s best friends,fellow Briton Dan Wheldon, died in a 15-car pileup in the season-finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
- 1Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 2Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 3Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
- 4Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
- 5Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3International news | euronews, latest international news
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 19Latest sport news
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Wires > Sport
- 20:05 CET Barros Schelotto quits Lanus, joins departing Argentine coaches
- 19:25 CET Brazil’s Andrade Gutierrez to admit World Cup bribes – Folha paper
- 19:22 CET Fury cites Ali, Douglas as he plots Klitschko sensation
- 18:51 CET Renault’s F1 future remains on hold
- 18:44 CET FIBA lifts Russia’s international ban
- 18:14 CET Rosberg fastest as Mercedes dominate in Abu Dhabi
- 17:21 CET Newcastle needed ‘feisty’ training session – McClaren
- 17:16 CET Marathon great Radcliffe cleared by IAAF of doping claims