Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti suffered a horrifying crash during the Grand Prix of Houston on Sunday leaving the 40-year-old Briton in hospital with concussion, a spinal fracture and a broken ankle.
The Scotsman who is a four-time Indycar Series champion was awake and alert when he was sent to hospital, where he stayed overnight.
IndyCar officials confirmed in a statement that he did not require surgery for the spinal injury.
The accident happened on the final lap of the race when Franchitti’s car clipped another competitor’s vehicle, went airborne and smashed into the catch fence sending debris flying across the track and into the packed out grandstands.
Thirteen spectators were reportedly injured – two of which were sent to hospital for treatment.
The crash comes nearly two years after one of Franchitti’s best friends,fellow Briton Dan Wheldon, died in a 15-car pileup in the season-finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 19Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > Sport
- 13:54 CET Nishikori through to last 16 after Becker pulls out
- 12:59 CET PM Cameron backs Jordan’s Prince Ali for FIFA presidency -…
- 12:40 CET Pressure mounts on Blatter as FIFA scandal widens
- 12:36 CET Real deny report of offer for Juve midfielder Pogba
- 12:04 CET Dortmund eye fitting Klopp era finale with German Cup win
- 11:59 CET Schooling sets his sights high at SEA Games
- 11:58 CET Europa League champs Sevilla face struggle to keep top talent
- 11:15 CET Burnley’s Barnes may miss most of next season