Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti suffered a horrifying crash during the Grand Prix of Houston on Sunday leaving the 40-year-old Briton in hospital with concussion, a spinal fracture and a broken ankle.
The Scotsman who is a four-time Indycar Series champion was awake and alert when he was sent to hospital, where he stayed overnight.
IndyCar officials confirmed in a statement that he did not require surgery for the spinal injury.
The accident happened on the final lap of the race when Franchitti’s car clipped another competitor’s vehicle, went airborne and smashed into the catch fence sending debris flying across the track and into the packed out grandstands.
Thirteen spectators were reportedly injured – two of which were sent to hospital for treatment.
The crash comes nearly two years after one of Franchitti’s best friends,fellow Briton Dan Wheldon, died in a 15-car pileup in the season-finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Why World Elephant Day matters
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
German sailor Heil infected by Rio’s polluted water
Vuelta a Espana: Lindeman wins stage seven as Froome loses time on title rivals
Judo World Championships: Emane claims third career world title
Bartoletta wins second world long jump gold as Schippers sprints to 200m title
Messi named Europe’s best player
Wires > Sport
- 17:40 CET Wales edge Ireland out in bruising World Cup warm-up
- 17:37 CET Russian Kuchina takes high jump gold
- 17:36 CET Controversial penalty gives Cologne 2-1 win over Hamburg
- 17:29 CET Rio 2016 organizers ‘extremely concerned’ over sick sailor
- 17:28 CET Van Garderen and Martin crash out of Vuelta
- 17:27 CET Pole Malachowski takes long-awaited discus gold
- 17:09 CET Eaton overcomes fatigue to claim world record
- 16:57 CET Bolt secures third sprint sweep as Jamaica win relay