Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti suffered a horrifying crash during the Grand Prix of Houston on Sunday leaving the 40-year-old Briton in hospital with concussion, a spinal fracture and a broken ankle.
The Scotsman who is a four-time Indycar Series champion was awake and alert when he was sent to hospital, where he stayed overnight.
IndyCar officials confirmed in a statement that he did not require surgery for the spinal injury.
The accident happened on the final lap of the race when Franchitti’s car clipped another competitor’s vehicle, went airborne and smashed into the catch fence sending debris flying across the track and into the packed out grandstands.
Thirteen spectators were reportedly injured – two of which were sent to hospital for treatment.
The crash comes nearly two years after one of Franchitti’s best friends,fellow Briton Dan Wheldon, died in a 15-car pileup in the season-finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12International news | euronews, latest international news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 16Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 17Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 18French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 04:39 CET Two-cap Wallaby Betham joins European exodus
- 00:23 CET I’ve improved as a batsman, says England’s off form Cook
- 00:16 CET Fiorentina slump to defeat at home to Verona
- 00:08 CET Britain’s Jockey Club makes healthy profit in 2014
- 22:25 CET Canada will act to keep doping agency WADA in Montreal – source
- 21:41 CET Struggling Hanover replace Korkut with Frontzeck
- 21:15 CET Russia’s World Cup critics should ‘stay at home’, says Blatter
- 21:14 CET Serena says not ready for claycourt season yet