Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti suffered a horrifying crash during the Grand Prix of Houston on Sunday leaving the 40-year-old Briton in hospital with concussion, a spinal fracture and a broken ankle.
The Scotsman who is a four-time Indycar Series champion was awake and alert when he was sent to hospital, where he stayed overnight.
IndyCar officials confirmed in a statement that he did not require surgery for the spinal injury.
The accident happened on the final lap of the race when Franchitti’s car clipped another competitor’s vehicle, went airborne and smashed into the catch fence sending debris flying across the track and into the packed out grandstands.
Thirteen spectators were reportedly injured – two of which were sent to hospital for treatment.
The crash comes nearly two years after one of Franchitti’s best friends,fellow Briton Dan Wheldon, died in a 15-car pileup in the season-finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 7Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 8Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 9NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 12Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 13Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 16European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 19Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 20Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 14:47 CET South Africa grab prized wickets to take charge
- 14:37 CET Pope wishes Rome luck on Olympic bid but jokes ‘I won’t be around’
- 14:17 CET Barcelona’s Neymar available for Cordoba clash
- 13:41 CET Arsenal hotshot Sanchez ready to haunt Liverpool
- 13:18 CET Abidal announces retirement ‘for personal reasons’
- 13:03 CET Elite sport’s credibility on the line – Ljungqvist
- 11:44 CET Atletico’s Simeone pleased with improving Mandzukic
- 11:22 CET Asian head wants ‘illegal Israel practices’ stopped