07/10/13 22:21 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The court at the trial of the captain of the doomed Costa Concordia liner has heard from its first witness.
First Deck officer Giovanni Iaccarino claimed captain Francesco Schettino ordered the crew to sail at a distance of half a nautical mile from the island of Giglio rather than the normal five miles.
He also said Schettino wanted to sail near the island a week earlier but called off the plan due to bad weather.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 4Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Wires > News
- 21:38 CET Death toll from Russian air strikes in Idlib climbs to 23 – monitor
- 21:34 CET Erdogan warns Germany ahead of Armenian genocide vote
- 21:12 CET Combative Trump says he raised $5.6 million for vets, bashes media
- 20:49 CET Sentence for Costa Concordia captain upheld over 2012 shipwreck
- 20:45 CET Libyan security forces pushing Islamic State back from vicinity of…
- 20:04 CET U.S. warns of possible Europe attacks, no specific threat
- 20:01 CET After Brexit – Roadmap for a leap in the dark
- 19:17 CET U.N. food agency prepares for deeper humanitarian crisis as battle…