07/10/13 22:21 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The court at the trial of the captain of the doomed Costa Concordia liner has heard from its first witness.
First Deck officer Giovanni Iaccarino claimed captain Francesco Schettino ordered the crew to sail at a distance of half a nautical mile from the island of Giglio rather than the normal five miles.
He also said Schettino wanted to sail near the island a week earlier but called off the plan due to bad weather.
Latest world news
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
Six days on, survivors are found in collapsed Kenya building
‘We need everything’, Ecuador quake survivor tells euronews
Air strike kills dozens in Syrian refugee camp
Playing for Palmyra – Russia holds a concert in the ruins
Wires > News
- 01:34 CET Air strikes hit camp in Syria, US condemns Assad statement
- 00:31 CET Trump says Britain would be better off without EU – Fox News
- 21:30 CET Depression reigns as EU presidents debate future of Europe
- 20:39 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House
- 18:51 CET Italy, Germany agree on immigration policy, but not on financing
- 18:23 CET ‘No boots on the ground’ has its limits as U.S. Navy SEAL is…