Vietnamese people mourned the death of legendary General Vo Nguyen Giap, who died on Friday aged 102.
A national hero, self-taught Giap enjoyed a legacy second only to that of his mentor, founding president and independence leader Ho Chi Minh
Critics saw him as ruthless: willing to accept immense losses among his own forces. His defenders said his strategic ability and astute tactics won wars against enemies whose resources dwarfed those of a peasant army.
“Surrender” is not a word in my vocabulary, he once said. In Giap’s words, any army fighting for freedom “had the creative energy to achieve things its adversary can never expect or imagine.”
Giap defeated French forces in 1954 helping end French colonial rule in the Indochina region.
He defeated the US-backed South Vietnam government in 1975, reuniting a country that had been split into communist and non-communist states.
When neigbouring China invaded in 1978, Giap helped organise the
defence, driving back the Chinese with heavy losses.
Truong Quoc Dinh, veteran of the war against the US told euronews:
“The moment I heard about the news, I rushed here to get a newspaper. I couldn’t believe it but it’s true that he’s gone. I’m waiting for more information when I can go and pay tribute to our great general,” he said.
In a 2004 interview with Reuters, Giap recalled that on a visit to the United Nations in Geneva, he was handed a book to sign. “I wrote…and signed Vo Nguyen Giap, General of Peace.”
Giap died of natural causes after several years in a Hanoi military hospital.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Wires > News
- 13:45 CET Turkish military campaign aims to prevent Kurdish unity in Syria -…
- 13:42 CET Shelling in eastern Ukraine kills four civilians, soldier
- 13:18 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from a Boeing 777 – Malaysia
- 13:17 CET Nigeria, Cameroon vow closer cooperation against Boko Haram
- 13:14 CET Germany’s Schaeuble wants to rebalance EU Commission’s role
- 12:59 CET Political prisoners, Chinese loggers among thousands freed in…
- 12:51 CET Chinese university says professor accused of spying freed on bail…
- 12:24 CET Drone kills four suspected militants in Yemen – residents