Italian rescue divers continue the search for bodies of African migrants off the coast of Lampedusa. Latest reports suggest at least 130 people died after their vessel capsized around a kilometre from land. According to a survivor around 500 people were on board at the time.
Rescue efforts were hampered by the fuel leaking from the boat, as one fisherman on the scene explained:
“We couldn’t pull them up because their arms were slippery. We boarded 20 people, it took us an hour to get just 20 people aboard. The others just sank to the bottom so quickly,” he said.
One of the first people to arrive on the scene, Vito Fiorino managed to save 47 people, but was clearly traumatised by the event:
“All of these people with their arms raised calling for help. It was something truly horrifying.”
The tragedy comes just four days after 13 migrants drowned off the coast of Sicily.
Thousands of migrants attempt the perilous journey between Tunisia and Lampedusa every year, and Italy is feeling the strain.
Minister of Interior Angelino Alfano wants Europe to share the responsibility.
“Europe must act. Either Europe must act or we cannot say that there is such thing as a supportive, hard-working relationship. And we want that border, the border of Lampedusa, to be considered the border of Europe, not the border of Italy,” he said.
Many of those making the journey are escaping conflict or persecution, those on board were from Eritrea and Somalia.
As recovery operations continue, Italy has declared a day of mourning for one of the worst tragedies to happen off its coast in recent times.
- 1Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 3France: Student held over ‘church attack plot’
- 4Russia’s Lavrov calls EU charges against Gazprom ‘unacceptable’
- 5Turkey insists it has nothing to hide on 100-year-old Armenian tragedy
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 12Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
Wires > News
- 02:49 CET Jailed opposition mayor may be granted home arrest in Venezuela
- 01:01 CET Israeli forces shoot and kill Palestinian armed with knives
- 00:36 CET U.N. chief urges Myanmar to address Muslims’ status ahead of vote
- 23:46 CET U.S. pro-Israel lobby opposes push to toughen Iran nuclear bill
- 23:13 CET No decision yet on Mistral, France’s Hollande says
- 22:42 CET Pakistani human rights activist shot dead in Karachi
- 22:39 CET Colombia’s FARC rebels say peace deal cannot be rushed
- 22:30 CET Statue of Liberty deemed safe after bomb threat – media reports