Tourists sunbathing on Sicily’s southern beaches got a nasty reminder on Monday that their suntrap is a deathtrap for many migrants seeking a better life in Europe.
The bodies of 13 migrants were washed ashore after the crew of their overloaded boat forced some of its 200 passengers to disembark in the surf.
Italian coastguards were alerted to the unfolding tragedy by tourists but arrived too late to save everyone on board. Two men, suspected of being guides, were arrested.
Some 60 migrants attempted to escape from the scene on foot, but in his panic one was hit by a passing car which did not stop, and is now in hospital in a serious condition.
Wires > News
- 05:36 CET Haiti commission recommends scrapping disputed election results
- 05:31 CET Hitler’s older brother was in fact younger and died early…
- 04:47 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 04:30 CET Top North Korean official visits China – Kyodo
- 03:11 CET China’s Xi says hopes to get Philippines ties back on track
- 01:55 CET Brazil’s anti-corruption minister quits over leaked recordings
- 01:42 CET Ohio zoo defends safety where boy climbed barrier and gorilla died
- 01:18 CET Rio de Janeiro police arrest two men in gang-rape case