Tourists sunbathing on Sicily’s southern beaches got a nasty reminder on Monday that their suntrap is a deathtrap for many migrants seeking a better life in Europe.
The bodies of 13 migrants were washed ashore after the crew of their overloaded boat forced some of its 200 passengers to disembark in the surf.
Italian coastguards were alerted to the unfolding tragedy by tourists but arrived too late to save everyone on board. Two men, suspected of being guides, were arrested.
Some 60 migrants attempted to escape from the scene on foot, but in his panic one was hit by a passing car which did not stop, and is now in hospital in a serious condition.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 11:11 CET Former deputy’s graft sentence casts shadow on Iran’s Ahmadinejad
- 10:38 CET China, Taiwan to seek cooperation as heads of ruling parties meet
- 06:38 CET Dozens tried for mob killing of Afghan woman that sparked outcry
- 01:09 CET Amnesty says Egypt using courts and jail to intimidate journalists
- 22:08 CET Yemeni Houthis call on U.N. to end Saudi strikes – statement
- 21:59 CET Tsunami warnings lifted after quake off Japan – NHK
- 21:25 CET Suspected rebels attack army in northern Malian town
- 21:08 CET France says confidence restored with Germany after spy claims