Tourists sunbathing on Sicily’s southern beaches got a nasty reminder on Monday that their suntrap is a deathtrap for many migrants seeking a better life in Europe.
The bodies of 13 migrants were washed ashore after the crew of their overloaded boat forced some of its 200 passengers to disembark in the surf.
Italian coastguards were alerted to the unfolding tragedy by tourists but arrived too late to save everyone on board. Two men, suspected of being guides, were arrested.
Some 60 migrants attempted to escape from the scene on foot, but in his panic one was hit by a passing car which did not stop, and is now in hospital in a serious condition.
Latest world news
Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
South African court paves way for Zuma to face renewed corruption charges
13 feared dead after helicopter crash near Bergen, Norway
Angry protest outside Trump rally in California
‘A new game, a final’: UEFA’s Platini makes last appeal against six-year ban
Wires > News
- 15:32 CET 11 people found dead in Norway helicopter crash
- 15:27 CET Paris police arrest 27 after overnight violence
- 15:13 CET Fire breaks out on old Russian nuclear sub, now extinguished…
- 15:10 CET Finnish NATO membership would lead to crisis with Russia -…
- 14:57 CET U.S., allies conduct 22 strikes against Islamic State – …
- 14:55 CET Syria calls local truces; U.N. condemns ‘monstrous disregard’ for…
- 14:51 CET Biden gets papal blessing for his global war on cancer
- 14:34 CET Italy struggles to house migrants in third year of mass arrivals