As many as 20 centre-right Italian senators are poised to break away from Silvio Berlusconi’s People of Freedom (PDL) Party, according to reports.
The speculation of a potential revolt within the party came after Berlusconi – who has been convicted of tax fraud – asked PDL ministers to resign and called for fresh elections in Italy.
The PDL’s Mariastella Gelmini said there was not an irrevocable split within the party: “I’m pretty sure that there is still enough room for finding common ground. With our leader, we can show a united party with a clear position,” she said.
A confidence vote on Prime Minister Enrico Letta’s government is due to take place on October 2.
Letta commands a strong majority in the lower house of parliament, but he must secure one in the Senate as well to continue to govern. The PDL is the second largest party in the Senate.
Across the political spectrum, lawmakers have been critical of Berlusconi’s role in Italy’s current political crisis.
Roberto Speranza of the Democratic Party (PD) complained: “Berlusconi’s putting his own personal interests before those of Italy.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 2New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 3Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 4‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 5US mourns NYPD officers killed in apparent retribution attack
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Israel launches airstrike on Gaza in apparent retaliation for rocket attack
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Kyiv terror plot foiled, says Ukrainian security service
- 5Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 5Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 17Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:47 CET Police officers’ slaying raises pressure on New York mayor
- 00:24 CET Syria says Israeli drone downed in Quneitra
- 00:03 CET Invoking Allah, driver slams car into pedestrians in eastern France
- 22:18 CET Analysis – Young Cuban-American groups emerge as Obama allies
- 21:11 CET Jordan hangs 11 after eight-year death penalty freeze
- 21:10 CET South Africa’s Zuma says in ‘perfect’ health after post-election…
- 18:03 CET Libya’s official government targets rival forces trying to seize…
- 17:47 CET Analysis – Economic issues whip up Israelis in chocolate pudding…