The Winter Olympics flame for Sochi 2014 was lit in Greece’s Temple of Hera, in ancient Olympia on Sunday.
An actress playing the high priestess lit the torch as the sun’s rays bounced off a concave mirror at the birthplace of the ancient Olympics, a ritual first established at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.
It marks the start of the longest torch relay for any Winter Games so far.
Sochi, by the Black Sea, will be the first Russian city to stage a Winter Olympics when it receives the flame on October 5.
It then embarks on a 123-day voyage, traveling to outer space, the bottom of Lake Baikal, the North Pole and Europe’s highest peak in the mammoth run across the vast country, carried by a record 14,000 torch-bearers, before finishing at the opening ceremony on February 7 next year.
IOC President Thomas Bach said during the ceremony: “The Olympic message sees the global diversity of cultures, societies and life choices as a sort of enrichment. It accuses no one and it excludes no one. The Olympic torch relay will be a messenger for the Olympic values of excellent friendship and respect without any form of discrimination. And now, as our Russian friends say ‘Poekhali’…‘Let’s go!’.”
Russian President Vladimir Putin is keen to put on a show to highlight the country’s progress since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.
But the event has also been overshadowed by criticism of Russia’s new anti-gay propaganda laws, which many view as repressive.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 5Denmark bridge collapse blocks motorway
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 14Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 15EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:20 CET EU opts to extend Central African Republic mission
- 20:14 CET EU protests over Russian detention of Lithuanian fishing boat
- 20:07 CET Jewish settlers occupy Palestinian homes in Old City’s shadow
- 19:40 CET Obama, Modi discuss trade, climate, Islamic State at White House
- 19:23 CET U.N. Ebola mission head wants significant progress in 60 days
- 18:49 CET Catalonia suspends formal campaign on Spain independence vote
- 17:50 CET Hardline Buddhists in Myanmar, Sri Lanka strike anti-Islamist pact
- 16:57 CET Sri Lanka police stop online media workshop – rights groups