The Winter Olympics flame for Sochi 2014 was lit in Greece’s Temple of Hera, in ancient Olympia on Sunday.
An actress playing the high priestess lit the torch as the sun’s rays bounced off a concave mirror at the birthplace of the ancient Olympics, a ritual first established at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.
It marks the start of the longest torch relay for any Winter Games so far.
Sochi, by the Black Sea, will be the first Russian city to stage a Winter Olympics when it receives the flame on October 5.
It then embarks on a 123-day voyage, traveling to outer space, the bottom of Lake Baikal, the North Pole and Europe’s highest peak in the mammoth run across the vast country, carried by a record 14,000 torch-bearers, before finishing at the opening ceremony on February 7 next year.
IOC President Thomas Bach said during the ceremony: “The Olympic message sees the global diversity of cultures, societies and life choices as a sort of enrichment. It accuses no one and it excludes no one. The Olympic torch relay will be a messenger for the Olympic values of excellent friendship and respect without any form of discrimination. And now, as our Russian friends say ‘Poekhali’…‘Let’s go!’.”
Russian President Vladimir Putin is keen to put on a show to highlight the country’s progress since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.
But the event has also been overshadowed by criticism of Russia’s new anti-gay propaganda laws, which many view as repressive.
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 3Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 14Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 09:08 CET Two killed, more than 20 wounded in Kenya college attack -…
- 06:44 CET At least 54 dead, 15 missing after Russian trawler sinks off…
- 06:16 CET Turkey detains nine Britons crossing into Syria
- 05:58 CET Hong Kong court adjourns British banker murder case for five weeks
- 02:09 CET From brides to battlefield, women taking up new roles with Islamic…
- 01:08 CET Southeast Asia faces increasingly intense climate events – analysts
- 00:32 CET Oil platform fire toll in Gulf of Mexico: 4 dead, 302 evacuated
- 23:47 CET Islamic State seizes vast Damascus refugee camp