The Winter Olympics flame for Sochi 2014 was lit in Greece’s Temple of Hera, in ancient Olympia on Sunday.
An actress playing the high priestess lit the torch as the sun’s rays bounced off a concave mirror at the birthplace of the ancient Olympics, a ritual first established at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.
It marks the start of the longest torch relay for any Winter Games so far.
Sochi, by the Black Sea, will be the first Russian city to stage a Winter Olympics when it receives the flame on October 5.
It then embarks on a 123-day voyage, traveling to outer space, the bottom of Lake Baikal, the North Pole and Europe’s highest peak in the mammoth run across the vast country, carried by a record 14,000 torch-bearers, before finishing at the opening ceremony on February 7 next year.
IOC President Thomas Bach said during the ceremony: “The Olympic message sees the global diversity of cultures, societies and life choices as a sort of enrichment. It accuses no one and it excludes no one. The Olympic torch relay will be a messenger for the Olympic values of excellent friendship and respect without any form of discrimination. And now, as our Russian friends say ‘Poekhali’…‘Let’s go!’.”
Russian President Vladimir Putin is keen to put on a show to highlight the country’s progress since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.
But the event has also been overshadowed by criticism of Russia’s new anti-gay propaganda laws, which many view as repressive.
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 3Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 4Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 5Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 19Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
Latest world news
Ding, ding, the gloves are off! Clinton and Sanders battle it out in Milwaukee
Tilda Swinton’s tip for surviving a George Clooney joke
Egypt awaits its revolution five years after Mubarak
Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
Wires > News
- 10:09 CET Greek police fire tear gas to disperse angry farmers in Athens
- 09:47 CET Pakistan arrests 97 al-Qaeda and other militants; foils jailbreak…
- 08:11 CET Australian Cabinet minister resigns over unofficial China trip
- 07:10 CET Beijing offers support for Hong Kong after New Year violence
- 05:29 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…
- 05:12 CET Venezuela top court grants Maduro economic emergency powers…
- 04:02 CET Britain says missing Hong Kong bookseller ‘involuntarily removed‘…
- 03:15 CET Oregon standoff ends after 41 days with dramatic surrender