Italy is looking to the banks to provide a temporary financial solution to keep Alitalia airborne.
The company, beset by problems, is looking for its major shareholder Air France-KLM to make a cash investment and increase its 25 percent holding in the airline.
Earlier in the week Italy said it was prepared to sell 50 percent of the company to the Franco-Dutch outfit.
This could prove a major problem for Rome as it has ambitions to make Italy a transport hub for intercontinental flights.
Air France-KLM already operates two hubs, one in Paris the other in Amsterdam, a third could be surplus to requirements.
Alitalia is also attracting interest from Russia, the United Arab Emirates and China.
Since 2009 Alitalia has lost 840 million euros and accumulated debts of 1 billion euros.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 12:09 CET Suzuki Motor says it will buy back VW stake as court settles feud
- 11:42 CET China fears linger as focus on Fed sharpens
- 10:20 CET Despite raids, Macau pawn shops still help flout currency rules
- 06:54 CET China is growing at ‘reasonable’ pace despite pressures – Premier…
- 01:11 CET Half of UK manufacturers worried by China, some review plans – EEF
- 21:49 CET Fed’s Fischer sees inflation rebound, allowing gradual rate hikes
- 20:51 CET ECB’S Constancio says policies firming inflation against oil…
- 20:17 CET Bank of England stance on rates unchanged by China – Carney