Italy is looking to the banks to provide a temporary financial solution to keep Alitalia airborne.
The company, beset by problems, is looking for its major shareholder Air France-KLM to make a cash investment and increase its 25 percent holding in the airline.
Earlier in the week Italy said it was prepared to sell 50 percent of the company to the Franco-Dutch outfit.
This could prove a major problem for Rome as it has ambitions to make Italy a transport hub for intercontinental flights.
Air France-KLM already operates two hubs, one in Paris the other in Amsterdam, a third could be surplus to requirements.
Alitalia is also attracting interest from Russia, the United Arab Emirates and China.
Since 2009 Alitalia has lost 840 million euros and accumulated debts of 1 billion euros.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > Business
- 13:12 CET French regulator approves Numericable-Virgin deal
- 13:11 CET Bank of England scheme fails to increase lending to small UK firms
- 13:09 CET Failure to reform threatens euro zone, ECB’s Draghi warns
- 12:50 CET EU lawmakers urge regulators to be tough on Google
- 12:37 CET ECB’s Draghi – Lack of reform threatens permanent divergence in…
- 12:31 CET Flat FTSE lags euro zone peers as energy stocks weigh
- 12:29 CET German unemployment falls to record low in November
- 12:26 CET German annual inflation set to fall in November, state data…