Italy is looking to the banks to provide a temporary financial solution to keep Alitalia airborne.
The company, beset by problems, is looking for its major shareholder Air France-KLM to make a cash investment and increase its 25 percent holding in the airline.
Earlier in the week Italy said it was prepared to sell 50 percent of the company to the Franco-Dutch outfit.
This could prove a major problem for Rome as it has ambitions to make Italy a transport hub for intercontinental flights.
Air France-KLM already operates two hubs, one in Paris the other in Amsterdam, a third could be surplus to requirements.
Alitalia is also attracting interest from Russia, the United Arab Emirates and China.
Since 2009 Alitalia has lost 840 million euros and accumulated debts of 1 billion euros.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > Business
- 19:55 CET Warren Buffett makes Berkshire gala an all-consuming affair
- 17:42 CET Japan to increase investment in Asian infrastructure
- 16:53 CET China’s Fosun offers $1.8 billion for 80 percent of U.S. insurer…
- 16:49 CET Restructuring Areva attracts Chinese interest -newspaper
- 16:40 CET UBS and Credit Suisse could combine investment banks – investor
- 16:12 CET Sainsbury Egypt legal case to drag on after hearing adjourned
- 14:13 CET McDonald’s faces ‘show me’ moment with new CEO strategy
- 14:08 CET HSBC’s HQ rethink: taxes and China relationship hold key to…