25/09/13 18:37 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
NATO and Russian fighter jets took part in a joint anti-terror exercise in Poland on Wednesday at time when ties are strained between the military alliance and Moscow.
Codenamed Vigilant Skies, the operation simulates a 9-11 style hijacking of a civilian airliner.
In this exercise, air traffic controllers in Moscow and Warsaw sound the alarm after the aircraft deviates off-course.
They scramble Russian and Polish fighter jets to intercept the plane and escort it away from heavily populated areas.
Michal Zychowicz, a pilot from the ‘hijacked’ aircraft, said:
“The fighters were keeping formation: three of Polish F-16s were on the left side behind our aircraft. Then they handed over the job. And Russian fighters were doing the same thing from the right side.”
But what happens if the hijackers ignore the order to land?
The decision to shoot down the plane rests with whichever country controls the airspace.
Turkish Brigadier General Hakan Evrim said that “NATO is responsible for this kind of stuff during the peacetime (training) missions.
“Whatever happens for real in terms of using the weapons etc we delegate this responsibility to nations, immediately,” he said.
NATO and Russia launched the Vigilant Skies program in 2002, one year after the 9/11 attacks on New York and Washington that left nearly three thousand people dead.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand