More gunfire has been heard on Monday morning as reports say Kenya’s military have launched an assault on the Nairobi shopping centre where militants have been holding hostages.
Earlier the country’s military said most of the hostages had been freed. A spokesperson said troops had taken control of the majority of the building in central Nairobi but did not say how many people had been rescued.
There has been no word on what has happened to suspected Islamist militants believed to be numbered between 10 and 15 who had barricaded themselves in a supermarket with an unknown number of captives.
On Sunday evening witnesses said they had heard brief volleys of gunfire and a blast. It came at the end of a day which had seen little obvious action in the stand-off between the military and the attackers thought to be members of Somalia’s al Shabaab movement.
Saturday’s devastating assault on the Westgate shopping centre has left at least 68 dead and more than 175 others wounded.
Many of those caught up in the violence have been foreigners from countries including France, Britain and Canada.
Throughout Sunday bodies were being recovered as the army’s operation against the militants continued.
It has been the biggest single attack in Kenya since an al Qaeda affiliate bombed the US Embassy in Nairobi in 1998 killing more than 200 people.