Brazil still makes the classic 56-year-old VW camper van, but not for much longer.
Production is to stop at the end of this year.
New regulations decree that vehicles in Brazil must have air bags and anti-lock braking systems.
The company says it cannot change production to meet the law.
More than 1.5 million VW vans have been produced in Brazil since 1957.
The vehicles are used in the country by the postal service to haul mail, by the army to transport soldiers, and by morticians to carry corpses.
Production in Germany stopped in 1979.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 3Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 4Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 5Venezuela-Colombia tensions rise as Caracas shuts more of border
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Why World Elephant Day matters
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Latest world news
Malaysia: Protesters demand resignation of PM Najib Razak over financial scandal
Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
Thai police arrest ‘Turkish’ man over Bangkok bombing
French motorway remains closed after travellers end blockade
‘Foreigner’ arrested over Bangkok bombing
Wires > News
- 17:55 CET Christian group occupies Philippine highway for second night
- 17:02 CET Myanmar bans parties from criticizing army in state media
- 16:20 CET Iran’s Rouhani says military power not affected by nuclear deal -…
- 16:03 CET Malaysia’s Mahathir joins protesters calling for PM to go
- 15:55 CET China grants amnesty to mark anniversary of WW2 victory
- 15:53 CET China grants amnesty to mark anniversary of WW2 victory
- 15:33 CET Turkish jets join U.S.-led coalition strikes on Islamic State
- 15:04 CET Egyptian court sentences three Al Jazeera journalists to prison