23/09/13 08:02 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Brazil still makes the classic 56-year-old VW camper van, but not for much longer.
Production is to stop at the end of this year.
New regulations decree that vehicles in Brazil must have air bags and anti-lock braking systems.
The company says it cannot change production to meet the law.
More than 1.5 million VW vans have been produced in Brazil since 1957.
The vehicles are used in the country by the postal service to haul mail, by the army to transport soldiers, and by morticians to carry corpses.
Production in Germany stopped in 1979.
Wires > News
- 11:10 CET Seventeen killed in care home fire in Ukraine
- 11:09 CET French PM says he will not bow to labour reform protestors
- 11:07 CET U.S.-led coalition soldiers seen on frontline of new Kurdish…
- 10:39 CET Iran assembly head wins initial re-election vote – state media
- 09:32 CET Tropical Storm Bonnie bears down on South Carolina coast
- 09:31 CET First tropical storm of year to threaten U.S. heads for South…
- 05:34 CET Vintage plane crashed in Hudson River during emergency landing -…
- 04:15 CET Clashes between Islamic State, Syria rebels kill dozens near…