23/09/13 08:02 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Brazil still makes the classic 56-year-old VW camper van, but not for much longer.
Production is to stop at the end of this year.
New regulations decree that vehicles in Brazil must have air bags and anti-lock braking systems.
The company says it cannot change production to meet the law.
More than 1.5 million VW vans have been produced in Brazil since 1957.
The vehicles are used in the country by the postal service to haul mail, by the army to transport soldiers, and by morticians to carry corpses.
Production in Germany stopped in 1979.
Wires > News
- 01:31 CET Australia PM Turnbull confirms will call election for July 2
- 01:15 CET Brazil prosecutor asks Supreme Court to investigate Lula
- 00:01 CET Russia delays U.N. council condemnation of North Korea missile…
- 23:10 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks