President Bashar al-Assad says he is ‘unconcerned’ about a draft UN resolution being proposed by the US, France and the UK following a report confirming the use of chemical weapons.
He also warned in an interview on Chinese television that the continuing violence could impede the work of inspectors in the dismantlement of Syria’s chemical weapons arsenal.
“Initially we don’t see any problems, but as I said, terrorists could be ordered by some countries to take action against the inspectors to prevent them from doing their job with the goal of blaming the government of Syria,” said the president.
Assad’s government has handed over information about its chemical stockpiles but Western powers want a UN resolution to include the threat of force if Syria does not fully cooperate.
Russia has described the UN report on last August’s chemical weapons attack as ‘politically tainted’.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:10 CET EU’s Ashton to stay on until end of Iran nuclear talks
- 18:48 CET U.N. questions Israel on Palestinians’ rights
- 18:29 CET Sri Lanka announces early presidential poll in January
- 18:28 CET Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to…
- 18:23 CET Poll shows Rousseff gaining momentum as Brazil election nears
- 18:18 CET Gaddafi cousin hopes to participate in Libyan peace talks
- 18:12 CET Video of woman giving birth outside Egyptian hospital triggers…
- 17:30 CET Qaeda insurgents kill 18 Houthis as Yemen sectarian conflict…