A Chinese court has sentenced former rising star in the ruling Communist Party Bo Xilai to life in prison.
He was convicted of corruption, embezzlement and abuse of power.
Bo has denied all charges and has the right to appeal the sentence. Chinese state media has reported that he is likely to appeal, which means the supreme court in Shandong province, where he was tried, would have to hear the case within two months.
Yang Zhaohui, Professor of Political Sciences at Beijing University says the “life-sentence verdict for Bo Xilai is the most acceptable one for all sides. For his supporters this is much more acceptable than a death-sentence and for the current leaders Xi Jinping and Li Keqiang this verdict causes less conflict and is a better outcome.”
Bo’s problems began when he was removed from office over a scandal last year, which saw his wife convicted of the murder of a British businessman.
Latest world news
Turkey: journalist heading to state secrets trial shot at moments before verdict
Second successful sea landing for SpaceX
Turkey won’t change anti-terror laws for EU visa-free travel – Erdogan
Cologne attacks: Algerian man acquitted of attempted sexual assault
Greece grinds to near halt in 48-hour general strike
Wires > News
- 18:32 CET Assailant tries to shoot prominent Turkish journalist outside court
- 18:30 CET Brazil senate committee votes for Rousseff impeachment trial
- 18:22 CET Pakistan’s tribal councils in spotlight after brutal ‘honour…
- 18:13 CET Russian firm milks chilly U.S.-Kremlin ties with ‘Little Obama‘…
- 18:01 CET Moroccan court jails brother of suspected Paris attack planner
- 17:21 CET Helicopters lead convoy through fire-ravaged Canadian city
- 17:08 CET Lawmaker in India’s Goa charged with buying, drugging and raping…
- 16:52 CET Romanian ex-president being investigated on suspicion of money…