19/09/13 09:34 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An Egyptian police officer has reportedly been shot dead in clashes on the outskirts of Cairo.
The trouble erupted as security forces tried to reassert control over Kerdasa, a part of the Egyptian capital where 11 policemen were killed in a militant attack last month.
It is the second police operation this week in an Islamist-dominated area where hostility to authorities has grown since the army deposed President Mursi in July.
Meanwhile, police say they have disarmed two explosive devices found on the metro at Helmeyet el-Zaytoun station, in the north east of Cairo.
Wires > News
- 03:11 CET China’s Xi says hopes to get Philippines ties back on track
- 02:51 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korean official
- 01:55 CET Brazil’s anti-corruption minister quits over leaked recordings
- 01:42 CET Ohio zoo defends safety where boy climbed barrier and gorilla died
- 01:18 CET Rio de Janeiro police arrest two men in gang-rape case
- 00:35 CET Hitler’s older brother was in fact younger and died early…
- 23:51 CET Heavy air strikes on Syria’s Idlib kill and injure dozens – monitor
- 23:23 CET Netanyahu says willing to discuss Arab initiative for peace with…