A review has been ordered of physical security at all US Navy and Marine Corps installations after Monday’s mass shooting at a base in Washington that left 13 people dead.
The US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel attended a ceremony paying tribute to the victims at the centre, as the country embarked on a period of mourning to last till the end of the week.
The Texas man suspected of carrying out the massacre had been working there as a contractor since last week, according to his employer.
It has been revealed that Aaron Alexis, who was himself killed, had received an honorable discharge from the US Navy Reserve, even though he had faced a series of misconduct charges.
A friend from the Texas restaurant where he worked noticed nothing untoward.
“He’s never shown any sign of angry or aggressive (behaviour) or anything you know, I don’t know, he might be depressed. I mean for his job or whatever reason,” said Oui Suthamtewakul.
The gunman’s shooting spree at the Navy Sea Systems Command building spread panic at the base barely two kilometres from the US Capitol.
He was reportedly armed with an AR-15 military-style assault rifle and two other guns.
Some in the United States have called for more debate on gun control. Few expect this tragedy to make any significant difference.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.