A week of planned strikes in Greece kicked off on Monday with the teachers’ unions, which have reported a near 90 percent turnout of their members who are angry at public spending cuts.
Civil servants are to go on strike for 48 hours from Wednesday. Around 12,500 of them are due to be suspended in a bid to save money.
“The only thing we demand and fight for is that the troika leaves our country, that the government, the European Union and the IMF, who for four years have imposed these policies that have impoverished Greek society, also leave,” said Grigoris Kalomiris, a teacher and representative of the civil servants’ union ADEDY.
Greece’s budget figures are slightly better, but have been paid for at a high price; unemployment is over 27 percent, and a deep economic recession is now in its sixth year.
“During this week of strikes in Greece various categories of state employees are planning to demonstrate their opposition to government plans for a major restructuring in the civil service. But as the government voices its determination not to reverse course, this week’s demonstrations are only the beginning of bitter strife between the Greek state and its employees that is going to last for months to come,” says euronews’ Stamatis Giannisis in Athens.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 3Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 4Votes counted as polls close in Nigerian election
- 5Israeli archaeologists discover Egyptian beer vessels in Tel Aviv.
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:19 CET War crimes judges revoke Serbian nationalist Seselj’s provisional…
- 11:37 CET India to issue land reform order to get around political deadlock
- 11:34 CET China air force conducts drill in west Pacific Ocean
- 11:30 CET Strong quakes strike off South Pacific islands – USGS
- 11:12 CET Strong quakes strike off South Pacific islands – USGS
- 11:09 CET Syria gets Russian arms under deals signed since conflict began -…
- 09:54 CET Greece says not backing down on debt relief goal
- 09:52 CET Iran summons Turkish charge d’affaires over Erdogan comments