Greece has been bumping along in the very depths of recession for years now, so as Europe contemplates more years of austerity or rethinking its economic plans, it could look to that country’s experiences.
A Greek charity says suicides there increased by 45 percent during the first four years of the country’s financial crisis.
In 2009, 677 people attempted or succeeded in committing suicide. In 2012 that number rose to 3,124 people, according to the Greek Ministry of Public Order.
“Economic issues are not the only reason for suicide, one does not necessarily bring the other, but everywhere in Europe where unemployment has increased so has suicide. When unemployment falls so do suicides, the indicators seem to move at the same time, they seem to have a relationship,” said the Kilimata Suicide Prevention Centre’s Aris Violatzis.
Other social problems have also increased according to health industry workers. More and more people have turned to drugs in response to the economic crisis, and unemployment.
“The state must handle the personal problems that people are facing. Behind the numbers are people, and human pain, and economists must not ignore this,” said Professor of Psychiatry Marina Oikonomou.
The Kilimata group is urging the Athens government to adopt plans to create a national strategy against the rise in suicides, with improved data gathering and training for police and health care workers.
- 1Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 3Armenia remembers the victims of 1915 massacre
- 4No more aid till ‘big, big problems’ solved, Eurogroup tells Greece
- 5Friendship and reconciliation replace conflict at Gallipoli centenary
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:15 CET Togo votes in delayed presidential election
- 14:12 CET French convict not in next round of Indonesia executions – embassy…
- 14:05 CET Burundi ruling party nominates president for third term, risking…
- 13:16 CET Devastating Nepal earthquake kills hundreds, triggers deadly…
- 13:06 CET Iran moves ships, reducing tensions near Yemen – Pentagon’s Carter
- 12:59 CET Pakistani security agencies to investigate activist’s murder
- 12:53 CET Ukrainian serviceman killed in rebel attack near Mariupol -…
- 12:30 CET Contemporary dance steps out in Poland after communism