The Romanian parliament has voted overwhelmingly in favour of introducing a law allowing stray dogs to be put down.
The move came after a 4-year-old boy was mauled to death by a pack of dogs in the capital Bucharest last week.
The new law, which must be approved by the president, would enable the state to put dogs to sleep if they are not claimed within two weeks of being picked up from the streets.
Bucharest is home to an estimated 40-60,000 strays.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Turkish CCTV images show British girls on their way to join ISIL
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 3Fierce anti-Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 4Woman missing at sea after freak waves at Game of Thrones set location
- 5Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 15Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 16‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:42 CET More than 30 arrested as Hong Kong anti-China protesters scuffle…
- 00:56 CET Netanyahu arrives in U.S., signs of easing of tensions over Iran…
- 23:42 CET Iraq says launches offensive on Islamic State north of Baghdad
- 22:03 CET Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon
- 21:37 CET CCTV shows British schoolgirls in Istanbul on way to Syria – media
- 20:35 CET Egypt parliamentary poll looks set for delay after court ruling
- 19:27 CET Israeli activists pitch tents in pre-election housing protest
- 19:21 CET Mali northern rebels demand more time over peace accord