The Romanian parliament has voted overwhelmingly in favour of introducing a law allowing stray dogs to be put down.
The move came after a 4-year-old boy was mauled to death by a pack of dogs in the capital Bucharest last week.
The new law, which must be approved by the president, would enable the state to put dogs to sleep if they are not claimed within two weeks of being picked up from the streets.
Bucharest is home to an estimated 40-60,000 strays.
- 1Greek Prime Minister Tsipras confirms referendum, calls for Greeks to reject creditors’ proposal
- 2Time runs out: Greece misses 1.6 billion-euro IMF repayment
- 3Crowdfunded site for Greek debt nears €1,500,000 in contributions
- 4Greece’s eurozone future in balance as bailout expires
- 5Ukraine stops buying Russian gas over price row
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 20:13 CET Ministers convene at Iran talks but breakthrough not yet in sight
- 19:52 CET Anti-graft watchdog warns EU of corruption risk in five countries
- 19:20 CET Rising number of local governments set targets to cut emissions
- 19:19 CET Suspected Boko Haram gunmen kill ‘many’ in Nigeria attack
- 19:14 CET U.N. rights body calls for end to child and forced marriage
- 18:37 CET U.N. talks on Libya stumble as rival govt postpones participation
- 18:00 CET Bangladesh, Kenya, Myanmar move up income ranks – World Bank
- 17:26 CET Special Report – Sex, scares, special effects spice up Pemex…