The Romanian parliament has voted overwhelmingly in favour of introducing a law allowing stray dogs to be put down.
The move came after a 4-year-old boy was mauled to death by a pack of dogs in the capital Bucharest last week.
The new law, which must be approved by the president, would enable the state to put dogs to sleep if they are not claimed within two weeks of being picked up from the streets.
Bucharest is home to an estimated 40-60,000 strays.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
Latest world news
New Horizons finds blue skies and water ice on Pluto
S. Carolina city to pay $6.5 million over police shooting of Walter Scott
Spain says high speed rail line in Catalonia was sabotaged
Syrian army claims major anti-IS campaign has begun
Israel braces itself for Friday prayers protests as violent attacks continue
Wires > News
- 08:29 CET Australian PM calls for calm amid planned anti-Islam protest
- 08:06 CET Baby dies after migrant boat breaks down off Greek island
- 07:02 CET Australia, Philippines negotiating asylum seeker transfer deal
- 04:47 CET Malaysia arrests lawyer critical of PM Najib
- 02:17 CET France train attack hero Stone stabbed in California
- 23:44 CET SpaceX raps ULA bid to get U.S. waiver for Russian engines
- 23:28 CET Insight – Collision course with a hurricane: How doomed U.S. ship…
- 23:20 CET In India, a test for Modi’s economic reforms and Hindu agenda