10/09/13 18:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An MP has been arrested after trying to shoot another lawmaker during a row in Jordan’s parliament.
Talal al-Sharif fired an AK-47 towards fellow-MP Qusay al-Dmeisi, but he missed and Dmeisi escaped unharmed.
The two had earlier had a fierce parliamentary exchange.
Afterwards al-Sharif went outside to fetch his assault rifle from his car, shouting that he was going to kill al-Dmeisi.
He was stopped by guards as he returned to the parliament, forcing him to shoot from the hallway. No one was hurt by the bullets which hit the wall and ceiling.
The MP now reportedly faces charges of attempted murder, possession of unlicenced firearms and resisting the security forces.
Al-Sharif is to be expelled, according to parliamentary officials, and al-Demsi is to be suspended for one year.
A parliamentary committee found al-Demsi guilty of inciting the attack by slapping al-Sharif in the face while they were shaking hands in an effort to resolve their dispute.
Local media reported that Jordan’s King Abdullah II summoned the Speaker of the House Saad Hayel to discuss the shooting.
There was a similar incident last year when one member of parliament threatened an opponent with a pistol while being interviewed by a local TV station.
- 1Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
- 4Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 5French nuclear workers vote to join strike against labour laws
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
G7 leaders visit Japanese holy shrine ahead of summit
Migrant rescue from capsized boat is caught on camera
Paris attacks survivor slams Eagles of Death Metal frontman for Muslim conspiracy comments
Iraqi units advance on ISIL-held Fallujah
Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
Wires > News
- 08:04 CET South Korea’s Park facing last chance to push through reforms…
- 07:59 CET Italian marine Girone can head home – India’s top court
- 07:38 CET Australian police arrest man over alleged terror plot
- 06:52 CET Philippines’ Duterte apologises for captive Canadian’s beheading…
- 06:44 CET Japan’s Abe takes G7 leaders to shrine as economy tops summit…
- 06:13 CET China says EU membership UK’s choice, but hopes for strong Europe
- 05:31 CET China says its people will never stand for Taiwan independence
- 03:56 CET Australia immigration policy threatens to hijack election agenda