An MP has been arrested after trying to shoot another lawmaker during a row in Jordan’s parliament.
Talal al-Sharif fired an AK-47 towards fellow-MP Qusay al-Dmeisi, but he missed and Dmeisi escaped unharmed.
The two had earlier had a fierce parliamentary exchange.
Afterwards al-Sharif went outside to fetch his assault rifle from his car, shouting that he was going to kill al-Dmeisi.
He was stopped by guards as he returned to the parliament, forcing him to shoot from the hallway. No one was hurt by the bullets which hit the wall and ceiling.
The MP now reportedly faces charges of attempted murder, possession of unlicenced firearms and resisting the security forces.
Al-Sharif is to be expelled, according to parliamentary officials, and al-Demsi is to be suspended for one year.
A parliamentary committee found al-Demsi guilty of inciting the attack by slapping al-Sharif in the face while they were shaking hands in an effort to resolve their dispute.
Local media reported that Jordan’s King Abdullah II summoned the Speaker of the House Saad Hayel to discuss the shooting.
There was a similar incident last year when one member of parliament threatened an opponent with a pistol while being interviewed by a local TV station.
- 1Tony Blair to step down as Middle East representative
- 2Eastern Ukraine: separatists ‘will not push for independence,’ says spokesperson
- 3‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 4Jack Warner turns himself in after being accused of corruption in FIFA scandal
- 5Saudi-led airstrikes kill at least 80 in Yemen
- 1‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 2Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 8Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 19Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 21:12 CET Insurgents claim capture of last Syrian town in Idlib province
- 21:07 CET U.S. defence aid to Israel to rise over Iran deal fears – sources
- 20:56 CET EU Commission asks France for more information on taxi law
- 20:55 CET U.N. council has first-ever briefing on rights in Myanmar
- 20:30 CET North Korean nuclear and missile experts visit Iran – dissidents
- 20:12 CET U.S. think tank urges continued human rights pressure on Sri Lanka
- 20:00 CET Putin classifies information on deaths of Russian troops in…
- 19:37 CET After suspension, Sri Lanka may let China resume work on Port City…