10/09/13 22:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Protesters have taken to the streets of Istanbul on Tuesday after a death of a demonstrator in the southern city of Antakya.
Turkish police used water cannon and fired rounds of teargas into the busy city centre to disperse the crowd.
At least 40 people have been detained.
An under 21s football match between Turkey and Sweden was temporarily suspended because tear gas wafted into the stadium.
In Antakya, the funeral of 22 year old protester Ahmet Atakan took place. He died at a demonstration against police handling of nationwide anti-government protests this summer.
The authorities have been blamed for his death, however they have denied all responsibility.
Tensions were high in the city on Tuesday with clashes breaking out between demonstrators and police.
Six anti-government protesters have now been killed in Turkey in recent months.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5What is behind Turkey’s recent diplomatic push?
Latest world news
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Stranded on plane during Istanbul terror attacks – euronews journalist reports
Anti Brexit voters march in favour of a referendum re-run
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
Wires > News
- 09:06 CET U.S.-backed Syrian rebels clash with IS fighters in border town -…
- 07:46 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down