In Syria, heavy fighting is continuing in and around the strategic town of Maaloula which is only 43 kilometres from Damascus, close to the Lebanese border.
Syrian army troops took a group of journalists with them, claiming to have secured the area but latest reports say rebel fighters linked to al Qaeda have regained control.
Maaloula is an ancient Christian town and is on a UNESCO list of world heritage sites.
Concerns are growing for members of its Christian community which has in the past been attacked by Islamist fighters who accuse them of sympathising with the Assad government.
The town is strategically important as it lies on a communications and supply corridor with the Lebanese border.
G20 – a club divided over the conflict in Syria
G20 ends with Barack Obama and Vladimir Putin sticking to their guns on Syria
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 12Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 18Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 16:22 CET Northern rebels say captured 19 Mali soldiers
- 16:00 CET As tensions ease, Cyprus leaders enjoy coffee and cake in capital
- 15:48 CET Egyptian court acquits 17 charged for protest where activist was…
- 15:05 CET Slovak PM launches re-election drive with tax cuts, wage hikes
- 14:54 CET Germany declines comment on reported ‘deep freeze’ with …
- 14:18 CET Al Shabaab attacks soldiers in south Somalia, two dozen dead
- 13:50 CET Irish voters back gay marriage in ‘social revolution’
- 13:18 CET Russia to adopt tough position if Ukraine defaults – PM Medvedev