09/09/13 02:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
It is known as the “hot phase” – the final two weeks of campaigning before Germany goes to the polls on September 22.
Despite being favourite to win a third term, Chancellor Angela Merkel has put her supporters on alert warning them that the opposition Social Democrats and the Greens might break a pledge not to team up with the Left Party in a bid to take power.
Speaking at an election rally in Dusseldorf, Merkel warned of the dangers of complacency: “Every single vote counts. And if you want to make sure that there are no political experiments like red-red-green, then you must vote for the Christian Democratic party (CDU) or in Bavaria for our sister party the Christian Social Union (CSU)”, she said.
Merkel’s Social Democrat challenger Peer Steinbrueck has previously ruled out any thought of a national coalition with the Left. However there are examples of cooperation at regional level such as the state of Brandenburg which is governed by an SPD-Left alliance.
The launch of Steinbrueck’s own “hot phase” of campaigning consisted of criticising Merkel for failing to address the rich-poor gap, and of her handling of the eurozone debt crisis.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 3Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 4French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
EgyptAir crash: forensics suggest ‘explosion on board’ – Egyptian official
Greece begins evacuation of Idomeni refugee camp
Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
Wires > News
- 11:38 CET Yemen university bomb kills gardener, injures two students
- 11:37 CET Key economy figures kept in new Turkish cabinet, Erdogan keeps…
- 11:36 CET Saudi court hands death sentence to man convicted of 2004 attack…
- 11:25 CET Japan sales tax, snap poll in focus as Abe prepares for G7 summit
- 11:22 CET Insight – In Iran, dividends of nuclear deal are slow to appear
- 11:15 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term “like from the old days”
- 11:10 CET Pit collapse kills at least 13 in Myanmar jade-mining district
- 10:55 CET French police break up refinery blockade in anti-reform showdown