09/09/13 02:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
It is known as the “hot phase” – the final two weeks of campaigning before Germany goes to the polls on September 22.
Despite being favourite to win a third term, Chancellor Angela Merkel has put her supporters on alert warning them that the opposition Social Democrats and the Greens might break a pledge not to team up with the Left Party in a bid to take power.
Speaking at an election rally in Dusseldorf, Merkel warned of the dangers of complacency: “Every single vote counts. And if you want to make sure that there are no political experiments like red-red-green, then you must vote for the Christian Democratic party (CDU) or in Bavaria for our sister party the Christian Social Union (CSU)”, she said.
Merkel’s Social Democrat challenger Peer Steinbrueck has previously ruled out any thought of a national coalition with the Left. However there are examples of cooperation at regional level such as the state of Brandenburg which is governed by an SPD-Left alliance.
The launch of Steinbrueck’s own “hot phase” of campaigning consisted of criticising Merkel for failing to address the rich-poor gap, and of her handling of the eurozone debt crisis.
- 1Syria ceasefire more likely to fail than succeed, says Russian FM
- 2Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 3Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 4Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
- 5Threat of deportation of baby girl to offshore migrant centre sparks Brisbane protest
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 18French language revolution in France
- 192015 | archives : euronews
- 20Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
Latest world news
Syria ceasefire more likely to fail than succeed, says Russian FM
Threat of deportation of baby girl to offshore migrant centre sparks Brisbane protest
Greek farmers camp outside parliament to protest tax reforms
Taiwan quake: rescue efforts over at site of toppled apartment block
Syria seizes village overlooking key rebel areas near Aleppo
Wires > News
- 04:45 CET U.S. Justice Scalia, conservative icon, dead at 79
- 04:40 CET U.S. Justice Scalia – outspoken conservative stalwart
- 03:16 CET New Zealand’s Christchurch rocked by 5.7 magnitude quake
- 02:07 CET Turkey strikes Kurdish militia in Syria, demands it withdraw
- 02:04 CET Ethnic rebels’ show of force highlights Suu Kyi’s peace challenge
- 01:10 CET Central Africans head to polls to vote for peace
- 23:50 CET Chad appoints new prime minister two months before election
- 23:08 CET A polarizing force, Haiti’s former soldiers return to streets