It is known as the “hot phase” – the final two weeks of campaigning before Germany goes to the polls on September 22.
Despite being favourite to win a third term, Chancellor Angela Merkel has put her supporters on alert warning them that the opposition Social Democrats and the Greens might break a pledge not to team up with the Left Party in a bid to take power.
Speaking at an election rally in Dusseldorf, Merkel warned of the dangers of complacency: “Every single vote counts. And if you want to make sure that there are no political experiments like red-red-green, then you must vote for the Christian Democratic party (CDU) or in Bavaria for our sister party the Christian Social Union (CSU)”, she said.
Merkel’s Social Democrat challenger Peer Steinbrueck has previously ruled out any thought of a national coalition with the Left. However there are examples of cooperation at regional level such as the state of Brandenburg which is governed by an SPD-Left alliance.
The launch of Steinbrueck’s own “hot phase” of campaigning consisted of criticising Merkel for failing to address the rich-poor gap, and of her handling of the eurozone debt crisis.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 14Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 17#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 18Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 19Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 20euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 13:47 CET Latvia heads to election under shadow of assertive Russia
- 13:44 CET Parcel containing bomb materials sent to Greek stock exchange
- 13:20 CET Blasts kill 15 people at Bulgaria explosives plant
- 12:39 CET Seven Libyan soldiers killed in Benghazi bombs and clashes – army…
- 12:23 CET Five dead in helicopter crash in France near Swiss border
- 12:20 CET Putin says sanctions will not stop Russia becoming economic power
- 12:10 CET Putin says Russia wants to move to national currencies in trade
- 11:53 CET Rapists confess as Kenyan cleric takes up equality struggle