In a high stakes mayoral election in Moscow, Kremlin ally Sergei Sobyanin is heading for victory. Partial results point to him winning over 50 percent of the vote, avoiding the need for a second-round runoff.
The contest is being seen as significant, having energised the opposition in ways which could pose a risk to the Kremlin in future.
However if Sobyanin’s win is confirmed Vladimir Putin will have a close ally in the capital until after the 2018 presidential election in which Putin has not ruled out seeking a fourth term.
The main challenger was Alexei Navalny, the charismatic leader of Russia’s pro-democracy movement. Navalny is out on bail having been found guilty of embezzlement in what he says was a political trial.
As the election count went on Navalny remained unconvinced of the outcome: “I’m asking the Moscow mayoral office not to falsify the results. We know the authorities will be tempted to add eight to ten percent to their tally to show they have won in the first round.”
Although Navalny had enlivened the ballot, running a western-style campaign, the voter turn out was surprisingly low at under 30 percent.
Election monitors have said they have seen no evidence of fraud.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
- 4Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 5Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
Greek police clear Idomeni camp
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Wires > News
- 04:01 CET Missing journalists held captive by Colombia’s ELN rebels -…
- 03:58 CET As ties deepen, elite U.S., Vietnam forces eye possible opening
- 03:20 CET South Korea fires warning shots after boats from North cross sea…
- 01:31 CET Judge seals all video depositions in Clinton email case -The Hill
- 01:30 CET France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone
- 01:17 CET Panama’s top court seeks extradition of ex-president Martinelli…
- 00:46 CET Pentagon says China aircraft intercept violated 2015 agreement
- 00:25 CET Nigeria minister wants Delta grievances addressed as Chevron…