The political future of Silvio Berlusconi is being decided on by a special Italian Senate committee.
The 23 members met on Monday and have been considering whether to expel the billionaire media tycoon from parliament over his tax fraud conviction.
A verdict could take weeks to be delivered.
The former prime minister’s lawyers have appealed to the European Court of Human Rights over an Italian law, which makes convicted politicians ineligible for parliament.
The Deputy Director of LUISS School of Government in Rome, Giovanni Orsina told euronews that he believes “it is very difficult to understand what game Berlusconi is playing because he himself doesn’t really know what kind of game he wants to play. There is a measure of irrationality, he is very angry and seriously believes he has been wronged by the judges”
After Mondays Senate committee meeting senior figures in the People of Freedom party reiterated their threat that they will pull out of the coalition government of Prime Minister Enrico Letta if Berlusconi is stripped of his seat in the Senate.
Whatever the outcome, Berlusconi would not be permitted to stand in any election if the government were to fall because of his four year jail term, which was commuted to one.
President Giorgio Napolitano has said he would be unwilling to call new elections and would seek a new coalition government.
Latest world news
Iran election: ‘Victory’ for allies of reformist Rouhani
Trump jokes about protest in California
Air strikes and shelling cause more deaths in Aleppo
Kenya burns over a hundred tons of elephant tusks and calls for a worldwide ban on ivory sales
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…