The political future of Silvio Berlusconi is being decided on by a special Italian Senate committee.
The 23 members met on Monday and have been considering whether to expel the billionaire media tycoon from parliament over his tax fraud conviction.
A verdict could take weeks to be delivered.
The former prime minister’s lawyers have appealed to the European Court of Human Rights over an Italian law, which makes convicted politicians ineligible for parliament.
The Deputy Director of LUISS School of Government in Rome, Giovanni Orsina told euronews that he believes “it is very difficult to understand what game Berlusconi is playing because he himself doesn’t really know what kind of game he wants to play. There is a measure of irrationality, he is very angry and seriously believes he has been wronged by the judges”
After Mondays Senate committee meeting senior figures in the People of Freedom party reiterated their threat that they will pull out of the coalition government of Prime Minister Enrico Letta if Berlusconi is stripped of his seat in the Senate.
Whatever the outcome, Berlusconi would not be permitted to stand in any election if the government were to fall because of his four year jail term, which was commuted to one.
President Giorgio Napolitano has said he would be unwilling to call new elections and would seek a new coalition government.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
- 4Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 5Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
Greek police clear Idomeni camp
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Wires > News
- 04:01 CET Missing journalists held captive by Colombia’s ELN rebels -…
- 03:58 CET As ties deepen, elite U.S., Vietnam forces eye possible opening
- 03:20 CET South Korea fires warning shots after boats from North cross sea…
- 01:31 CET Judge seals all video depositions in Clinton email case -The Hill
- 01:30 CET France sends underwater probes to EgyptAir search zone
- 01:17 CET Panama’s top court seeks extradition of ex-president Martinelli…
- 00:46 CET Pentagon says China aircraft intercept violated 2015 agreement
- 00:25 CET Nigeria minister wants Delta grievances addressed as Chevron…