Tokyo were awarded the 2020 Olympic games on Saturday during the 125th IOC session in Buenos Aires Argentina.
Tokyo were in a three-way race with Istanbul and Madrid, who were eliminated in the first round.
The Spanish capital and Istanbul were tied in the original ballot, with Madrid then losing out on a second decisive vote by 49-45.
It is the third time in a row Madrid have failed in their bid to host the games after also losing out to London 2012, and then again to Rio de Janeiro in the 2016 vote.
Tokyo then held off Istanbul in the final head-to-head to win the right to stage their second summer games after 1964.
They won by 60 votes to Istanbul’s 36.
It was Istanbul’s fifth failed bid overall.
Tokyo join the elite club of two-time hosts along with Athens who staged the first modern Olympic Games in 1896 and more recently in 2004, Paris the 1900 and 1924 hosts and Los Angeles who staged the world’s biggest sporting extravaganza in 1932 and 1984.
Despite concerns over leaks of highly radioactive water at the Fukushima nuclear power plant, Tokyo always seemed to have a slight advantage going into the final days of the 2020 race.
The Japanese capital, planning its biggest housing complex in 42 years to welcome athletes, announced in February 2012 that the National Olympic Stadium would undergo a full-scale reconstruction for the 2019 Rugby World Cup as well as the 2020 Olympics.
Earlier this summer, Tokyo received the most praise in a technical assessment made by the International Olympic Committee (of the three cities bidding for the Games). While the report touched on the financial crisis in Spain, Tokyo was described as a modern and dynamic city boasting the most efficient public transport systems in the world.
Tokyo 2020 International Promotion Film
Introducing Tokyo 2020 Venues
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Africa Cup of Nations to go ahead in Morocco despite hosts Ebola fears
- 2Andres Iniesta gets the Golden Foot award ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo
- 3Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 4‘The Corner’ an Italian hero, zero, hero and woe in Warsaw for Germany
- 5UEFA set to charge Serbia and Albania after flag brawl
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 00:40 CET Ailing Nadal eases into Swiss Indoors second round
- 00:01 CET NZ Rugby Union cancel Maori All Blacks’ match in Singapore
- 21:54 CET Italy’s Serie A overseas TV rights awarded for 441 million pounds
- 21:26 CET Barca clash an Ajax learning experience, says De Boer
- 21:03 CET Costa ruled out of Maribor clash as injuries hit Chelsea
- 20:36 CET Parnell out for Proteas but De Villiers backs depth
- 20:22 CET Springboks look north next month but cast eye to World Cup
- 19:16 CET Galatasaray, Basel fined over crowd trouble