A seventh night of protests have taken place in Romania over plans for Europe’s largest open-cast gold mine.
The government approved a draft law, which allows for Canadian company, Gabriel Resources, to mine for the estimated 300 tons of gold and 1,600 tons of silver at the town of Rosia Montana in western Transylvania.
Over 1,000 people gathered at Bucharest’s University Square on Saturday night.
One protest said “it had been spontaneous” and he “enjoys that type of demonstration”. He adds that “the majority of people there are young and can’t be manipulated.”
The campaign against mining at Rosia Montana began in the 1990s with environmentalists saying the plan would destroy villages and ancient Roman sites.
Those in favour of the mine have said it will create a large number of jobs and bring billions of euro in revenue to the country.
euronews – Reporter
Gold rush in Romania12/10/2012
- 1Hungary’s PM Orban slams plans for migrant quota fines
- 2Labour’s Sadiq Khan elected new Mayor of London, defeats Conservative Zac Goldsmith
- 3Turkish journalists sentenced for revealing state secrets
- 4Turkey won’t change anti-terror laws for EU visa-free travel – Erdogan
- 5Turkey: journalist speaks out against those ‘targeting’ him after Istanbul shooting
Latest world news
Brazil: Senate committee approves report recommending Rousseff’s impeachment
Turkish journalists sentenced for revealing state secrets
Hungary’s PM Orban slams plans for migrant quota fines
Labour’s Sadiq Khan elected new Mayor of London, defeats Conservative Zac Goldsmith
Turkey: journalist speaks out against those ‘targeting’ him after Istanbul shooting
Wires > News
- 01:05 CET Images show North Korea may be preparing 5th nuclear test – think…
- 01:04 CET EU’s Juncker sees refugee crisis at ‘turning point’
- 22:14 CET Turkish journalists jailed for five years, hours after courthouse…
- 20:38 CET Panama Papers source breaks silence, denies being a spy -…
- 20:27 CET China takes first step in $1 billion pledge to U.N. to fund peace…
- 20:25 CET Egypt gives Italy phone records of union chief – source
- 19:58 CET Russia says U.S.-Georgian military exercises could destabilise…
- 19:56 CET U.S. says it is committed to keeping Aleppo truce in place beyond…